Chapter 20 - The Past becomes the Future

While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die. - Leonardo da Vinci

The Past becomes the Future

The next few days were a blur. I wish I could say that they had been magical and that all Zak and I did was lie in bed and have the best sex ever. But that was the furthest thing from the truth. After we left my mother's party the mood between us had been killed and the tension that had previously been between us was all back.

I had gone back to staying at Cathy's and I hadn't seen much of Zak. We had both been rather busy. He was busy dealing with some issues that had come up with their equipment going into another country, and I was running around getting things ready for me to go. The following day Cathy and I had done tons of research about Romania since neither one of us knew much about the country. It turned out that at this time of year it would be cold much like our Northeastern weather.

Cathy was not coming, but she had booked a flight to come and visit for a week, two weeks from now. Tonight Zak and Aaron were going to go over the itinerary that we were going to have. The guys had a few locations they wanted to investigate.

We were going to be gone for so long that meant I needed clothes, since most of my wardrobe was Florida approved, not snow and below freezing appropriate, I needed some sweaters, boots and a new jacket. I also had to get all my paper work and passport straightened out, but being the step-daughter to Florida's senator had its perks and I got my passport in record time. We were leaving for Washington DC tomorrow morning, and from Washington our flight would go to London, then to Romania.

I had talked to my boss and she had been more than happy to give me some extended time off. It helped that I had three weeks of vacation time that I needed to use up, and I had never used a sick day since I had started working at the library. She told me to have a fantastic time and to take lots of pictures.

That only meant I had one thing left to do. Say goodbye to my mother. We had not spoken since the night of the ball and I was not looking forward to doing this. But I wouldn't have to see her for a month, so there was a good thing to all this. I just wasn't sure I was ready to hear the cruel words I knew she had for me.

I pulled up to her long driveway and slowly drove down until her big white house came into view. I parked in my usual spot and marched with a resolve determination to the door. I would not let her make me feel like crap. I was going on a month long trip with Zak, I didn't have a reason to be upset and nothing could damper my mood.

I pressed the doorbell and waited until my mother opened the door. When she did, I was met with my mother's cold gray eyes. Not saying a word she moved to the side letting me in. I automatically walked to the living room and sat on her large olive-green couch. My mother sat in one of the lounge chairs, her posture was stiff, as she set her hands on her lap.

-"Mom ... I wanted to apologize for my behavior at -"

-"I cannot do this anymore with you, Anastasia." My mother interrupted me.

-"What do you mean?"

-"This. You do something to embarrass me, and then you come and apologize for your boorish behavior. It has been like this for years, but lately it's been constant ..." My mother glared angrily at me. But it wasn't her usual angry look, this look was hateful. "You were supposed to marry Justin, but you just left the poor man at the altar, in front of everyone! You ran off to Las Vegas, married a total stranger, then I catch both of you panting and rutting around like two ... animals, in my garden!"

I felt my face flush.

-"I'm really sorry ... " I didn't know what else I could say.

-"I promised your father to keep up the ruse, to make you believe ... but I can't do it anymore! You are a true plague on my existence."