Chapter 32 - Love in the time of dragons

Love in the time of dragons

With a long drawn out sigh, I threw the blankets off my body and with a groan I rolled onto my back. I couldn't sleep. Again. This insomnia problem was becoming quite a problem, but my doctor told me that it was normal. I glanced to my right where Zak was peacefully sleeping, laying on his back, with one arm over his head and the other over his bare stomach, he looked magnificent even in his sleep.

I looked down at my own body. My large stomach protruded out so far that I couldn't even see my feet. I looked like I swallowed a giant pumpkin or something. I gently rubbed my bare stomach when a powerful kick made my whole stomach move, I then felt my whole stomach shift as the baby tried to stretch or do some sort of somersault inside of me. I was thirty-eight weeks pregnant and I only had two more weeks to go. But truthfully, it felt like I had been pregnant for years. I was exhausted from not sleeping well, my back ached and I was just generally moody.

Zak had been wonderful and patient. He pampered and babied me constantly, almost to the point of annoyance. But beside all those things, Zak was really jumping into his role as a father, even before the baby was here and I knew this little one would be spoiled. Zak also did everything in his power to remind me that I was not some bloated fish but a beautiful woman.

The baby moved again, this time poking my bladder and the immediate need to use the bathroom made me get out of the warm bed. I quickly grabbed my robe and rushed to the bathroom.

Once done, I poked my head in the bedroom. Zak was still fast asleep, so I quietly shut the door. He was just as tired as I was. We had just gotten back from an investigation in Arizona. We had been gone for nine days, but I was so happy to be finally home. That had been the last investigation that Zak would attend. Since I was in the last two weeks of my pregnancy, my doctor wanted to see me every week, and he had advised me against long distance travelling. Only because he didn't want me going into labor when I was so far from home.

Zak had of course agreed with the doctor and had squeezed in as many investigations as he could in the last five months; he then cancelled all investigation for the next six months. We had argued about that for weeks. I told him he was being ridiculous, that he still could go and I would just call him if I needed him, but since I moved to Las Vegas, Zak had not left me alone for very long. It had been the subject of many of our arguments, but I had eventually just given up and let him win. I did understand why he was so afraid. But it didn't mean I liked it.

The order of the dragon was still out there, plotting their devious little plan to purge the world, and I was still the one person that could make that happen for them. Zak was afraid for me, that he could lose me to them. How could I tell him that he was wrong, when he did all this to protect me? But it worried me as well, especially now that I was going to be a mother.

My feet softly patted along the bare wood floor all the way down to the kitchen. I turned the light on and went to the fridge and grabbed the milk, pouring myself a large glass. I sat at the table and let out a long sigh of relief as I took a long drink from the glass. I never liked milk but for some reason it was all I craved and I couldn't get enough of it. Setting the glass down, I looked down at my large stomach. I didn't know if I was having a boy or a girl. Zak wanted it to be a surprise so we declined to know the sex, but he said it was a girl. I wasn't sure what the baby was, but I did know I was tired of being pregnant.

My pregnancy had been very easy. Except for a few days at the beginning where I had felt slightly sick, I hadn't had any morning sickness and really no health issues at all. I could always keep up with the guys on their investigations. I wasn't exactly part of the show, sometimes I did the walk-through with Zak, but most of the time I sat with Billy and watched the monitors. Zak did not want me or his baby anywhere near the active spirits, especially when it was a prison or somewhere with violent reports of activity.