Chapter 21 - True Lies

True Lies

Trust Takes Years To Build, Seconds To Break, And Forever To Repair.

It took a lot to shake Zak. He had been in some of the most haunted locations in America. He had seen and heard things that no one would ever believe. He had lived through things that would make any ordinary person go insane. He had spoken to the dead, seen in their mind ... their last moments as they took their dying breathes. He had been possessed by evil demons who had left their scars on his body and his soul, yet there was no moment in his life where he had been more frighten than when the plane had started to shake and Ana was nowhere in sight.

All that kept going through his mind was not that he was going to die, dying didn't scare him, it was that the woman he had come to care for deeply would die. He couldn't bare the thoughts of this world going on without her.

As soon as the plane had started to plunge down towards the ocean, he set himself into motion and ran to the back of the plane where he had seen Ana go. But through the chaos and hysterics of people he had not found her. But now that he saw her in Keane's arm at the helm of the plane he knew why she had not been where he had thought.

At the time he had thought not saying goodbye to Ana was the greatest tragedy, but when he spotted her with Keane, her eyes looking at him with total trust, with his hands holding hers together ... he knew this was worse. When he spotted her, he had started to run, pushing anyone who got in his way. He only had one thought in his mind. Kill Keane.

But as he got closer and Ana had seen him, he knew something was wrong. She wavered on her feet and Keane quickly stabilized her. She looked at Keane, then at Zak again, her gaze was unfocused and moments later her eyes rolled to the back of her head.

-"What the fuck did you do?" Zak barked as he stalked closer and tried to grab Ana.

Keane glared at Zak as he caught Ana from falling and to Zak's annoyance he scooped her up in his arms, cradling Ana close to his chest. Keane ignored Zak's outburst and hurried out of the cockpit. He set her down in the first available seat he could find and tilted the seat back. Zak stayed close behind Keane, until the man finally acknowledged him.

-"I didn't do a bloody thing! She swooned when she saw you, so how do I know you don't have something to do with this?" Keane shot back facing Zak with the same murderous glare.

Zak took a menacing step towards Keane. He glowered daggers at him as Keane did the same until both men were so close that not even an inch separated them. Tension in the room climbed as Zak considered the best way to get rid of the man standing in front of him.

-"Hey hey hey ..." Nick quickly came running and pushed both Zak and Keane apart. He stood between both men. "Chill out! Both of you!" Nick glanced at Ana then gave Zak a scolding look. "There are more important issues to take care here; you two can kick the shit out of each other after we figure out what is wrong with Ana!"

Zak gave Keane a last glare and he quickly moved next to Ana. He knelt next to her seat and slowly brushed the hair from her face. Even though she was unconscious her forehead was crease with worry. She let out a small moan shaking her head no. He had no idea what had happened to her or why Keane was even here? Was Keane responsible for the plane going down? He glanced back at Keane who was talking to one of the flight attendant.

Nick was right, he had to worry about Ana, but if Keane was the reason why she was this way he needed to get answers from him. Zak gently smoothed his thumb across Ana's forehead and pressed a kiss to her head as he stood. Nick was in the next aisle helping an elderly woman take a seat, and he saw his chance. With determination he stalked towards Keane and with lightning speed he pushed him hard against the wall, slamming Keane into it. The flight attendant let out a small scream but he ignored her.