Chapter 27 - Day of Reckoning

Day of Reckoning

I sat in my small prison with a hundred dreadful thoughts running through my mind. I hoped and prayed that Zak would not show up. Of course I didn’t want to be here, but my captor wanted me to be rescued. Although the order's interest in Zak was purely for his empathic abilities, I knew that Zak would not cooperate with them and I didn’t fancy him becoming a mindless drone.

But my biggest worry was for Keane. John wanted to kill him and even though I thought he was under-estimating the fighting skills of a five hundred year old being, it made me wonder what John was hiding up his sleeve. He had said I would be Keane's downfall ... those words did not bring me any comfort at all; actually they scared me to death.

All the member of the order had left. They had first arrived in several all-terrain vehicles, pulling small trailers for their equipment, but now all that was left was my cage, an ominous looking table with straps and a strange square hole in the middle of the table and John, who was impatiently pacing in front of my small cage. The order had also left a regular table with an assortment of tools that made me slightly nervous at the sight of them. I had seen enough action and thrilled movies to know what some of them were used for, and in the end someone always ended up missing some pieces of their body.

-"Why do you hate us so much?" I asked John, as he paced by my cage for the hundred time.

I wasn’t sure why I asked that. Maybe I was just trying to fill the silence, but I was truly baffled by all this hate he felt for the entire world. Was this man bullied as a child and had his lunch money stolen one too many times and something had just snapped inside of him? My question seemed to have taken him off-guard because he stopped his pacing and looked me like I had sprouted another head.

His brow knitted together.

-"I don’t hate you at all, in fact I envy you." His heavy breath came out in little puffs of white cloud through his thin lips.

-"How do you envy me?" I asked, unable to understand his strange reasoning.

-"You will bring forth a new world –"

I shook my head and interrupted him; I didn’t want to hear the new world speech another time.

-"No, I don’t mean me, I mean the world, what has the whole world done to you? All those innocent children that won’t have a future because of you, those mothers and fathers ... How can you be so callous that you want them all dead?"

-"They will not die in vain! They will be born again, into a new, better world!" He preached.

-"Just leave them alone!" I raised my voice, unable to contain the annoyance any longer. "They don’t want a new world, they want this one, I want this one." I gripped the bars to my cell and clutched them tightly.

-"I am afraid your journey is now over, Ana, but I will make sure no one will ever forget you." John approached my small cage. His disgusting hot breath was inches from my face but I refuse to let him intimidate me. But the look in his eyes ... it made me understand that there was no reasoning with this man, he was too far gone.

-"What do you mean, my journey is over?" I finally asked carefully.

-"Once you enter the shadow world, the Guardian must consume the blood of his descendant to travel through the portal to this world. But from your life a new world will be born."

I blanched and backed up, my back bumped into the cold metal bars. I had never expected this. For some reason I thought they needed me to do some sort of ritual, or chant some words, or whatever the hell people did to cast a spell. I felt my heart plummet. I thought I had the upper hand. That they needed my cooperation, but they didn’t. They just needed me alive for my blood.