Chapter 25 - Love and Monsters

Love and Monsters

Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies. ~ Aristotle

Zak was a smart guy, in fact he thought he was pretty damn brilliant at times, but he was genuinely confused at the moment. Ana had just ran from the cabin, but before she did, she confessed to having kissed Keane and told him she refused to be the other woman in his life ... He had no idea what the hell she was talking about.

The front door slammed shut and Zak swore as Ana figure disappeared in the heavy snow that had started to fall. He lost no time and ran after her.

-"Ana, stop!" Zak yelled.

To his surprise she did stop running. They were several feet apart but he could see her shoulders rising and falling rapidly. Her wet auburn hair was stuck to her back and neck and snow quickly clung to it. His own hair was soaked and the cold wind blowing was causing it to freeze into place.

He stopped inches from her and put his hand on her shoulder.

-"Ana ..."

She slowly turned around but kept her head lowered. Despite the situation and everything that was going on he didn't miss how beautiful she still looked. Her pale skin looked almost iridescent, her lashes were lowered and a few errant snowflakes clung to them. The wind howled around them, kicking up the fresh snow and by all respects he should be cold, but all he could feel was his blood boiling through his veins.

-"Ana look at me." He ordered.

She slowly looked up at him with her beautiful, large hazel eyes. They looked pained and sad.

-"I'm sorry ..." She whispered hoarsely.

-"You didn't do anything wrong." He said softly. "But we need to talk about this ... preferably somewhere inside."

-"That's not why am sorry ..."

Zak's eyebrow rose in question but he didn't ask her to clarify. He extended his hand out and gave Ana a small smile. He held his breath as he watched her decide what to do until she shook her head no. He wasn't all that surprise that she refused; he expected nothing less from the stubborn woman.

-"I will sign those divorce papers ... do you have them?" Her voice was hard and all business like.

-"Ana, I'm really confused ... I know we been having ... issues -"

-"I overheard you on the phone with Bridgette; she's your girlfriend right? You told her you weren't married."

Zak frowned for a moment until he recalled that he had spoken to Bridgette in London ... but he had no idea how Ana had overheard that conversation.

-"How do you ...?"

-"It doesn't matter, just that I know, so you can stop lying."

-"Ana, Bridgette isn't my girlfriend." Zak's tone was cool and patient.

-"But I heard you tell her -"

He quickly interrupted Ana.

-"I went out with her a few times, that's it. She is a fame hungry bitch." Ana started to shake her head no, denying what he was saying and Zak felt his cool starting to slip. His voice grew louder. "She means nothing to me. You are what matters to me!" He took a step towards her.

****************************************************************

I watched Zak take a step to close the distance between us and I felt myself growing nervous. I knew this was probably the worse time to tell him about my doubts towards him, but I had been quiet all day long. I had spent the whole day pretending that Zak didn't matter to me, that I didn't care what happened after we went home. But I did care, and I did not want to lose him.