Chp. 15 - Broken Dance

"You What?" Cole yelled, sending his voice echoing throughout the house and his eyes glowing bright gold. I knew it wasn't exactly the news he expected to hear but I didn't think he'd go bat-shit crazy, it's not like it happened to him, it happened to me. 

"Chill out Cole, it's not that big of a deal" he growled and started pacing around the foyer before taking a seat on one of the steps, resting his head in his palms.

"You're right, I don't approve, not one bit" he was acting like a child, not the cool-tempered level-headed Cole I knew from Texas. 

"Well it happened, not much we can do about it" I mock, placing my hands on my hips, 

"This is serious Lil, how did it happen?" he snapped at me and I didn't appreciate being talked ot like that, he's never done it before, not when I was temporarily staying with his pack and he certainly has no right to use his Beta attitude when he's in my territory and my house. He may be Beta but i'm soon to inherit the position of Delta, leader of the Defense Line, it usually goes to females who have been in training all their lives, because they're strong and open-minded. 

"I got accused of sharing pack secrets with a hunter, I was sentenced to Vulnus times two, the Alpha it was like he was enraged with me defending myself, like he was nervous and hiding something when I mentioned that hunters blaming our pack for a death of one of their own. I wasn't going to heal properly, I knew it, my bones would have remained fractured or healed all wrong and I wouldn't have been able to be Delta. So I asked Holden for his blood, neither of us wanted to take that step but Holden knows how much it means to me, he didn't want to see me suffer"

"Since when? He was fine with it last time?" I sighed at Cole, and looked at the three dead hunters on the foyer floor, I was just thankful there was no blood that would stained the floor. 

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

I whipped my head towards the door and inhaled the familiar scent of moroccan spice and chocolate, Holden was here, I was to pre-occupied with Cole to even realise, 

"Lily open up" he had on his Alpha voice and behind that was a concerned mate, wanting to see if I was ok. 

Rushing to open the door, I didn't have time to think before Holden swooped me into a hug, hissing at the pain that shot through my arm he quickly released me and looked at me with worried eyes. They then finally saw Cole and grew darker, 

"Who's he?" he demanded and walked further into the foyer, turning his head to view the dead hunters which he already knew about through the mind link we had made much much stronger. 

"Holden, this is Cole, Cole this is my mate, Holden" Cole looked up at Holden and I saw the recognition flash across Holden's face, he knew it was the guy he saw me with over the summer when he came to see me in Texas, he just never thought I would be seeing him again when I moved back. 

"Cole's here to speak to your father on behalf of his Alpha" I explained, I could see the worry behind his eyes, he wasn't sure if Cole was here at my house for something more than just a catch up. I place my hand on his arm and he seemed to calm down. 

"Thankyou for saving Lily" he bowed to Cole in respect, not that he needed to but I'm glad he did.

***

We disposed of the bodies in what we call the graveyard, a ditch in the woods, where we buried rogues that we killed. Anybody watching would think it was a sadistic act, but we've lived and breathed death all our lives, it's not something new and we all knew and lived with the knowledge that our last day could be today. 

I looked at Holden and Cole, they were sweating from digging and had mud covering their shoes, Holden was watching me from the corner of his eye as he stared at the ditch in which our pack had buried so many of our enemies. I could tell he was uncomfortable with Cole being here, he was confused about the relationship between us, I wanted to tell him he had nothing to worry about but I wasn't even sure where I stood with Cole anymore.