chapter thirty one

Annabel's POV

it happened for the first time, late on Friday evening.
I had just decided that I'd get my school work figured out, and at least gain a chance at getting into any collage at all. Without the help of my parents, this seemed to me pretty impossible.
After all, my family was avoiding me, and had probably spent all their money on my hospital bills already. And I didn't seem to have any skills worth value. Not that I could remember at least.
Walking into school was like waking up from a long and very realistic dream. It snapped me back into reality.
I tried to remember, tried to match sight with memory, but I couldn't. Something about u the smell of pungent body spray and chemical cleaning supplies seemed familiar, but nothing to get excited about.
I tried to dress like myself, or at least how I thought I'd dress. Brendon helped a little, but with no detail, he explained that he didn't really know me before the accident.
His voice trembled a little when he spoke the words, but I didn't think much of it.
At the end, I'd picked a regular tee shirt and jeans. Not the most professional, but then again, what was my sense of profession? 
As I sported that outfit down the linoleum hallways, I wasn't surprised that not many people were here. It was after all, after school hours.
The principle had decided that this was the best time to talk about my future, and how my accident had affected it.
Brendon had driven me to the school, agreeing to pick me up around 6:00 so we could catch dinner.
It was a nice gesture, I thought.
As I was passing each dark real locker, I saw a girl stop and stare at me.
She was slim, with sandy blonde hair, and crystal blue eyes. At first I didn't think it was weird- the whole school had heard about the accident- but there was an odd look in her eyes. I saw something flicker beneath them.
Then the girl started to open her mouth to say something, only to be cut off by her friend.
The other girl called out a name that sounded much like "shay", and the blonde girl forgot all about me.
I didn't think much of it after.
After all, I wasn't there for odd, staring girls. I was there to get my shit together
When I finally reached the principles office, the anxiety finally hit me.
I knew the outcome of my accident was not going to be good, but what was I supposed to say? "I'm sorry that my boyfriend hit me with his car,"? Yeah, I didnt think so.
Even with everything at stake, I pushed the anxiety away and took the last final step into the office.
Even that didn't spark any familiarity in me. I must not have been a bad kid.
"Ah, Annabel. Come in sweetie"
The principle was a girl, apparently, though I didn't remember that either.
The name on her desk read "Mrs. Sullivan".
I followed her ordered and sat down in the seat across from her.
I can still remember the look she gave me. The look of pure pity. I loathed it.
The woman then went on to tell me that - though she was very sorry - I would have to take classes over the entire summer to earn any credits to get me in to a decent college. I'd also have to take courses that provided me with working hours and volunteer work hours . I remember her saying a lot of other things, but those were the only I felt vital
Honestly, I had though things were a lot worse than summer courses and a few days at a senior citizens home. She also apologized multiple times for my accident, as if her pity would bring back my memory.
I plastered a smile on my face, and nodded mechanically at her every cry.
I would not let bad attitude butcher my chance at a normal life.
Mrs. Sullivan said a few other things before patting my shoulder carefully, and dismissing me from her office.
I left in a hurry, wanting far away from that pity party.
Checking the time, I realized I had about five minutes left.
Mrs. Sullivan had given me my locker number, and combination , and offered the entrance to my locker.
Curious, I thought I'd give it a try.
Sadly, all I found were a few dusty text books, and tampons. Hey, at least pre-accident me was prepared.
By then , it was 6:10, so I had started heading out when a tall, brunette boy stopped me.
"Annabel?"
At the sound of my name, I turned and faced him.
"Hi?"
The boy blushed and stuttered a little.
"Hi. I'm sorry.. I'm Pete. Wentz? I'm Pete Wentz."
I didn't recognize him, but I could tell he knew me. It was something amount the pain behind his eyes . Or maybe I was just imagining it.
I nodded along to his talking, but I didn't really care.
I promised brendon I'd be out by 6:00 and it was already 6:10.
"so," Pete said, "I'm a friend of Patrick's..."
Now my attention was locked in. The name of the strange Boy who had tried to kiss me snapped me into reality.
For some reason, I wanted to know more about him. Brendon could wait five more minutes, right?
Pete continued.
"I was just wondering if you had any idea where he's went? I haven't heard from him in months, and it's just really unlike him. Yknow?"
I nodded, even though I didn't know.
Pete must've noticed this, because regret flashed across his face. I didn't blame him. It wasn't his fault.
I surprised myself by saying, "did you know me before?"
Obviously Pete had been taken aback too, he hesitated before he answered.
"yes," he finally said, "we were very close actually."
Right then, I had wanted to remember, praised myself to remember just one thing.
How close? I had asked myself. What did we do when we hung out? Was I close with Patrick also?
But before I had a chance to voice these questions, Pete spoke.
"Here," he said, "let me walk you out."
So I did.
It was quiet the whole time, but there was something peaceful about it.
When we reached the parking lot, I spotted Brendon's car, but turned to Pete to say goodbye.
I had thought id just say a quick goodbye, but Pete leaned in for a hug, as if it were a reflex .
If hugged him back, thinking little of it, then turned to walk to the car.
When I got in, I got the immediate feeling something was wrong.
"Hi baby," I tried, reaching for Brendon's hand.
He moved it away.
"What's wrong?"
"You know."
But I didn't, I really didn't. "It's it because I was late? It was only ten minutes, it's not a big deal"
But this has sparked something in him.
"Not a big deal? I was waiting here for you. You could've said something."
I couldn't believe this. I had to do something important, I was having a conversation with another person. He had to respect that didn't he?
But i didn't even get to ask.
"And don't even get me started on you talking to that other man"
This completely stopped me.
He was jealous? Of someone that I had just met ? For some reason this sparked a little happiness in me .
"Aw , is my baby jealous?" I joked.
Then it happened. I didn't even see it coming, not at all. I just felt. And I felt hard.
I held the side of my face where he had hit it, looking down in disbelief.
"Don't speak to me like that."
Tears started to pour out of my eyes but brendon didn't seem to notice. He was focused on the road .
"Fucking asshole!" He called to a car that had cute him off.
He slightly turned to me like nothing had even happened.
"Did you see that? Prick doesn't even know how to drive."
I didn't know what to say, so I just kept silent.
I kept silent the entire ride home. And I kept silent for the rest of the night.