Chapter Fourteen

I woke up the next day, in my room, Annabel next to me, my arms around her.
Ha, bullshit.
I woke up, in my room, to a phone call from Annabel's mom, telling me we were allowed to see her. She did say the word "visit" so I could tell that something was wrong.
I knew I should've been excited, ecstatic even, but for some reason, I couldn't even brace myself to get up.
How the fuck did any of this happen to us? To her?
It was she'd waited so long to tell someone this, to tell someone what brendon did to her, and then, out if the blue he comes and hits her with his car. How fucking ironic.
And then Annabel and I were in love. I mean we're still In love but.. You know we were together. And we were happy. We were happy and just...
I sat up before I could let myself break down again, and dressed myself.
My parents were still on vacation, so I didn't need to tell them I was going anywhere.
I headed down to the kitchen, grabbed an energy bar, and went to my car.
At first, I put the keys in the engine thingy, and got ready to drive, but then something just hit me.
All of this, all that had happened last night. It was real. This was actually happening. She was in the hospital, and i was on my way to "see" her, not even knowing if she was conscious.
I slammed my hands on the wheel, making the car beep.
"Fucking A!" I screamed.
Then I got myself together and drove to the hospital. This had to start somewhere.

******************

"Oh patrick," Mrs. Greene exclaimed, throwing her arms around me.
She had bags around her eyes, and I could tell she hadn't slept at all. I couldn't even try to begin to think of how hard this had to be on her.
With my chick resting on her mothers shoulder, the faces of Annabel's other family members came into veiw. I could tell they'd all Been through so much. More than me even. This was their sister. Their daughter. And here I was acting like I was taking all the after affects. I squeezed Mrs. Greene tighter.
Once I'd silently greeted all of her family members, I asked the question that'd been swimming around my mind since the moment they'd called.
"So.. Is she.. Is she conscious?"
Annabel's father shook his head, and I felt as if I was drained of something.
"Let's go see her. The nurse is there, and she'll answer any questions you have."
I followed the family to the hospital room, and As soon as I saw her, a lump the size of Pete's dick rose in my throat.
All and every sign of blood was cleared away, but still she looked worse than last night. She was pale. Everything was pale. Like a ghost. And her under eyes, and eye sockets were a deep purple. There were a few stitches on her cheek, and I could see one in her head. There were tubes sticking in her everywhere.
"Oh god.." I let a gasp escape me, and Mrs. Greene squeezes my hand.
"When wi-" I started, and the nurse looked at me apologetically and said, "we don't know. Annabel is in a deep coma, due to the trauma put on her head."
Then the nurse left, seeing to it as we needed to be alone with Annabel.
Mr. And Mrs. Green, talked about some kind if trip, with their daughter Sarah. The other sister, Cara, stood outside the room.
They were going on a trip? When their daughter is in the fuckiung hospital?
"When are you going away?" I asked, not realizing that I was giving away that ideas eavesdropping. They didn't seem to care.
"Tonight.." Mr. Greene said.
""New York.. All of us are going except A- well you know. Tried to get out of it this morning, but I'll be fired if I bail so.." He put his hand in my shoulder and squeezed it.
"That's why we invited you here.." Sarah said. Filling in the empty silence that has found it's way in.
"The trip lasts three weeks and... And well we need someone here to watch over Annabel. Someone to be there when she wakes up."
Sarah gave a fake smile, and I felt as if is be sick. I agreed, but only because I knew this family didn't need anymore disappointments.
Before I blew chinks in front of her family, I stepped out of the room to join Cara.
She wasn't looking into the room, and I could tell she wasn't listening in. She was just staring ahead, probably trying not to think about it. I wondered if this reminded her of the many times she'd been to the hospital for her disabilities, or her suicide attempts.
I scanned her frail body, and my eyes landed on her tiny, boney wrists, lines with new , deep cuts.
"Why do you do that," I blurted out. Damn my girlfriend gets hit by a cat, and suddenly I'm a complete asshole.
"Why do you?" Cara didn't even look away from the distance as she said this, but I still covered my own wrist, lined with old scars.
"There old I've bee-"
"Their lying. You know that right?"
"Um what?"
Her sudden words stunned me. Who was lying, and what the hell where they lying about.
"My parents. The nurse. Everyone." Sarah answered, almost as if she'd read my mind.
She looked at me now, her hard, bike eyes piercing into mine. Oddly enough, she didn't seem as if she's been crying. At all.
"How?"
Cara scoffed sarcastically.
"They keep telling you she's gonna wake up. They keep saying that she's "unresponsive". She's dying patrick. And their leaving because they're too cowardly to sit here and watch it. They're making you stay here and watch her because at least someone will he here when she stops breathing."
I've never gotten the feeling that is wanted to hit a girl, but honestly, right now, the feeling boiled inside me.
This was her sister. How could she be saying such horrible things about her like this?
"I love her." , I grumbled, my fists clenched.
"I know you love her. I can see by the way you look at her. I can tell by the way tears fill in your eyes when you squeeze her hand and she doesn't squeeze back. But you need to understand this. Annabel might not wake up. And that can't be the end of the world for you. It can't be the end of the world for us either. You need to understand, that when she doesn't wake up-"
"If," I corrected her, tears welling in my eyes.
"If she doesn't wake up. You need to be here for us. Cause were too damn scared. You need to be strong, and you need to be ready, and you need to be here."
And with that she was out the door, leaving me alone with her words.