Chapter two

"You know it's going to be like, 500 degrees in there right?" Patrick asked as I pulled on my sweatshirt.
"You know I'm freezing every fucking second of the day right?"
He chuckled as we walked out to the car, on our way to the concert.
It wasn't as awkward as I'd thought it would be, just me and him.
Neither of us had actually said the word "date" but I could tell we were both thinking it.
When we got into the car, we just sat there, and I wondered why he wasn't driving.
"You know," patrick said turning to me.
"Hmm?" I stared curiously at him.
"The band I was going to take you to sucks. Like, badly. Can we just go to the movies?"
He smiled a little, making me laugh, and I agreed.
Patrick started the car, and pulled out of my driveway.
"You know," he said again.
"What?" I said in a joking tone.
"Silence is so freaking loud," he answered, before turning the radio on.
Patrick has said this many times before, but I think this is the only time I've really understood. The only time I've ever compared it to something in my life.
Shay and I, we weren't talking. Sometimes I'd get occasional "whore" and "slut" from her, but usually it was just disgusted looks through the hallway.
Our relationship was silent.
And silence was so freaking loud.

------------------

Through out the rest of the car ride, we talked about stupid things, like the weather, the school year.
And finally, when we got into the movie theatre, we bought tickets for a newish movie called cake. Jennifer Aniston was in it, and since we both loved her, we couldn't resist.
Luckily they had Ginger ale at the fountains, because of my heart condition. We got popcorn and some candy, and headed into the theatre.
Apparently "newish" too old for most people, and we were literally the only two people in there.
Though we could choose any seat in the room, we picked the very back, in the very middle, our signature spot.
At first the movie was confusing, but then we began to understand it. It was an amazing movie, and we both cried during it.
When it ended, neither of us moved, even when the lights turned on, and the credits stopped playing, we just sat there, wiping our eyes.
We finally looked at eachother and laughed in embarrassment.
We were alone in this theatre, our laughter, the only sound in the room.
We were alone. But that was okay.
Because we were alone together.