Chapter One

Patrick wasn't some perfect, dreamy guy that all the girls wanted. He wasn't insanely gorgeous, and he was never the cool guy.
Thing is, patrick was a little chubby. In high school, he had been over weight, and after he graduated, he lost 75 pounds. I'd been friends with him all that time, and to be honest, none if these things ever bothered me. He was always this super funny, amazing. Helpful, talented guy. He was my friend. So that's why I was a little nervous when he asked me to go to a concert with him- just us.
I mean yeah, we'd been alone together millions if times, but for some reason, this time really stuck out. Especially because he'd specifically asked it to just be us.
"I was thinking.. Well you know.. Not inviting everyone else?" He'd said, nervousness in his voice.
"Yeah. Is everyone busy or something?" I'd asked, even though I knew most of us didn't have friends outside out group. All except the one.. Shay.
"No I just.. Thought it'd be cool to go together."
After that most of our conversations were awkward and anxious. It was obvious he was asking me on a date, but neither of us said it. When we hung up the phone, an odd feeling swept through me.
It wasn't because of patrick. The feeling if him asking me out was weird, I'll admit, but that wasn't what was making me feel so horrible.
I thought back to the incident. The thing that had happened with Brendon. The thing that tore me and shay apart.
The thought of shay made me tear up, and before I knew it, memories were flooding in like a tsunami.

-----------

Our friendship wasn't like it was in the movies. It wasn't that chlichè "the losers come together and make friends" thing. Not at all.
Weirdly enough, our friendship started off of pure hate.
Patrick and I were at the pool, as we always were on summer days. We'd be sitting in our picnic table, playing cards, and waiting for the air to heat up. Every day seemed to be the exact same. Until Shay showed up.
That day, i'd seen her strut in, like she was the queen. She'd had her back arched in such a way it'd look like it could break. An exorcise - I learned later - that made your ass look bigger. She was only about 13, like me, yet she was wearing the brightest, sluttiest bikini i'd ever seen. She had her auburn hair up in a bun, and and her green eyes hidden behind a pair of clearly expensive sunglasses.
I'd watched her walk all the way from the parking lot, to the cement, and finally, I watched her plop herself down in my sisters signature seat.
My sister sarah had always been the queen bee. And not because she was popular. Because she never shut up. Just like a queen bee, buzzing around.
Sarah always had something to talk about, whether it was school, or boys, just anything.
I saw my other sister, Cara, silently look over. Id say she pretended not to care, but then I'd be wrong. She really didn't care.
Cara was the quiet one, mysterious, yet beautiful.
Once Sarah came back from the snack bar, i was almost absolutely sure all hell would break loose.
Patrick and I exchanged worried glances, as we'd known how bad her freak outs were.
But all the worry was put to waste. For all Sarah did was stare at the mystery girl for seconds, then sit down, exactly next to her, chatting with her friends, ignoring her existence.
Later that night, Sarah, of course chatted her head off to my parents, and exaggerated the girl at the pool.
"She's a frigging stalker!" She'd yelled, making Cara roll her eyes.
Sarah was 18, the oldest, and Cara was 15, but sometimes it seemed the other way around.
My parents, always subtle, explained to Sarah that she was only trying to make friends. Then suddenly the conversation turned to me. As always, my mother asked me to help her out.
The next day at the pool, patrick and I were doing are regular routine, when I saw the girl standing at the snack bar.
"I'll be back," I said.
"Where are you going?" He asked.
For some reason, I'd been embarrassed.
"I'm going to get a coke."
"You don't drink caffeine Annabel."
That was true. But still I kept walking, growing nearer to the girl.
"Hi." I said to her, as she walked colder to me.
"Are you talking to me?" Still to this day, I couldn't forget the bitchiness in her voice.
"Uh- yeah I am. I just. Wanted to know if um.. You wanted to hang out with me and my friend?"
The girl laughed .
"Me? Hang out with you? And who else? Mc chubbs over there?"
I felt completely fluttered. And soon I wasn't alone.
Sarah was behind me, and she'd heard it all.
"Excuse me?" She demanded.
I still remember the fear that was running through me that day.
After Sarah was done screaming at the girl, she literaly ran out of the pool, into the parking lot, crying. She'd left all her stuff here.
Once the pool closed, patrick thought we should bring her stuff to her. So we'd dropped it at her house, and when we saw her, she had she'd her bitch wave, and invited us in.
So many memories were made at that house. Many at the pool, and the movie theatre. At school, and at parks. This whole neighbor hood was out memory. And What did it add up to now? Nothing?