2 - A friendly gift

2. Seth

Getting through classes is a struggle as usual. Actually paying attention in class seems like the most pointless thing ever. Let's be real with each other, what's the point of doing stuff you'll most likely never need in your life? There's a 100 % chance that I will not need to know how to calculate the sides of a triangle ever.

Why can't schools teach important things instead of crap that nobody really needs?

Fortunately, I have soccer to keep me from failing at everything I do. I'll just get a sports scholarship for the next best college and that's that. Taking into consideration that soccer is the only thing that I don't suck at, it is probably my only shot at a decent - and most importantly independent - future.

"Seth! Over here!"

To stick to the matter of clichés, my group of "friends" has their own designated table in the cafeteria. It's like getting stuck in an eighties high school film. Except from the fact that this one is not going to have a good outcome.

"What's up?" I greet the group as I approach the table and slide into my usual spot next to Brice.

Scanning the group, I lift an eyebrow at a chick sitting by Cole. She's clinging to him, trying to get his attention as he sips his coke. It's almost sickening, the way she bats her fake eyelashes at the guy.

"I see you've survived most of the day." Brice comments, dipping a few French fries into ranch dressing before chucking them into his mouth.

"Always do." I offer what can only be described as a tortured smile. "So, what are the plans for Friday night? I was thinking we could go down to the lake and get wasted..." I look around the group and they all agree silently except for Cole's cling-on.

"Get wasted? That seems lame..." She pops a cherry tomato into her mouth, her sticky-looking lips making a popping sound.

"The lake it is!" David agrees, ignoring her completely. "I'll get my dad's Rover and Cole, you have your truck, right?  That should be enough. Seth, you got the booze?" I nod and smirk at just the thought.

I know what you're thinking. 'Seth, did you not just tell us about how your future relies on soccer and therefore your health and physical wellness? Drinking is extremely counter productive!'  Well to that I say, fuck off! Tonight I'm drowning out everything and everyone and that's that.

"Right, then that's settled." Brice slaps my back.

As the group goes off on a tangent, planning Friday night, I dig into my food, letting my eyes wander. I do notice Leena's absence but am not surprised. She must be embarrassed.

Oh well.

As I finish my sandwich, my eyes focus on someone getting a bottle of water from the lunch lady. New girl is really trying to make an impression today. With her shoulders squared and her nose up high, she crosses the cafeteria back to her table.

Of course she's sitting by herself.

"By the way, have you seen the new girl yet?" Brice interrupts my thoughts.

Before I can reply, Cole's chick pipes up. "Hard not to see, really!" She giggles but the sound reminds me of nails scratching against chalkboard. "I mean, what do you have to eat to become that size? Quite pathetic... Like, get on the treadmill already!"

Everyone just stares at her and she cowers back into her seat, clearly intimidated. 

"Just shut up, babe." Cole orders in a bored manner. Guess she won't be coming back.

"So, I'm guessing she's not a catch?" Brice looks disappointed and I laugh, throwing my head back.

"She's a disaster!" I snatch a fry off of Brice's plate and pop it into my mouth. "She's in my calculus class", my eyes flit over to where she's sitting now, "and she needs to be put in her place."