23 - Runaway Baby

23. Arya

As days pass, Sam and I form a compromise. He promises to tune down the protectiveness and give me more room to breathe if I agree to regular meetings with our social worker. The first meeting with her after a long time went as imagined. Lots of questions about school, my social life and about Sam. It is to be expected that social workers try to dig up dirt on my living situation. It's not exactly usual to let two teenagers stay together...

While I kept up my side of the bargain, Sam didn't get to prove his side of the deal just yet. With Seth claiming to be busy with school, working and watching over his sister most of the time, I see very little of him all week. Although I wouldn't exactly say that he is ignoring me in school, he is always busy talking to teachers and running to his next class before the bell rings. Talking has become a rarity that I strangely miss.

After our heart to heart at the park I imagined... Well, what did I imagine exactly? 

Now that it's Friday and school is over, I decide to take the devil by the horns and play destiny. I swing my backpack over my shoulder and stalk past my fellow students into the parking lot. There I find Seth's car in its usual spot. After a few tedious minutes, the parking lot starts to empty and I can finally see Seth coming towards me. His phone in hand, he doesn't notice me because he is engrossed in furiously typing something. Just as he reaches his car, he looks up and almost jumps back when he sees me.

"Arya," he calls out looking spooked. He quickly shoves his phone into the pocket of his jeans and unlocks his car. "What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to talk to you." I follow him to the driver's side and put my hand on the door before he can run away from me again. "Why are you in such a rush? Is something wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong but I really gotta get home." He pulls open the door without any effort, almost as if I'm not even trying to keep it shut. "Sorry!"

And with that he shuts the door right in my face and speeds off. Stunned and hurt, I'm unable to move. As if erased, the moment we had a few days ago feels forgotten and years in the past. Seth's mood swings are going to be the death of me. I am shattered about the fact that he doesn't feel like he can talk to me, although, I also have a nagging feeling that there's something more behind his actions.

I try to be realistic, rational. Maybe something is going on with his parents? That would explain his rush to get home. They're probably on his case about something. Maybe they're not even at home so he has to take extra care of Paulina. That would make sense.

"Hey there," a voice appears behind me and I jump in surprise. When I turn around, I come face to face with Ethan. He is wearing his usual bright smile and the sparkle in his eyes tells me that he's been watching.

"I don't want to talk about it," I shoot him down and start walking to the spot where Sam is usually waiting for me to take me home.

"But I do," he chimes, draping his arm over my shoulders, walking beside me. "Let's see... he's been ignoring you. He refuses to talk to you and he's been acting like someone with a secret. I bet he has a secret!"

Rolling my eyes, I shake his arm off and quicken my pace.

"Ouch." Ethan grabs onto his chest faking pain. "That was harsh!"

"Get lost, Ethan. I'm not in the mood," I hiss at him, clearly annoyed.

"I'm just trying to give you advice!"

I stop in my tracks and turn around, lifting my head a bit so I could make eye contact. "Who says I want your advice, Ethan?"

I throw my hands up in the air and Ethan smirks at me. "Everyone wants my advice! I'm awesome!"