12 - Making friends

12. Arya

"Right, my name is Arya. I'm sixteen years old and a student at Westview high school. I don't really have any working experience if I'm being honest but I do a bit of painting and drawing in my spare time... so... I guess, I have a bit of experience that way?"

The words stumble clumsily from my mouth as I try to answer the oh-so dreaded request to talk a little bit about myself. I try to smile but the muscles in my jaw quiver with anxiety.

I've never been good at talking about myself. Especially not when it comes to interview type situations where you have to make a good impression.

"Sounds good so far," the young female owner of the art store downtown looks down at the clipboard in her lap. "You'll be behind the cash register most of the time but I'll show you how to do that. Doesn't take long to figure out."

She actually manages to smile, easing a bit of my nervousness. She puts her clipboard down on the small table in front of her and leans back in her seat. "Do you have any of your work on you?"

Immediately my mind goes to the notebook in my backpack but I can't show her that. It's like a diary... an illustrated one. It holds every single personal thought, dream, fear. None of those I want exposed to my possible future boss.

I cringe remembering one page in particular and then Seth's face upon seeing it.

"No, not really but if you give me a pen and some paper, I could draw you something." Wow, that didn't sound desperate at all!

"Oh, that's not necessary. I believe you. You see, here's the thing. We're kinda desperate for some fresh air in here and we really need the help. Nobody has come in for the job so far..." She rips the sheet of paper off the clipboard with a grin on her face. "Congratulations, Arya. You've got the job. You will be stacking the shelves, work behind the cash register and give advice to customers. I know, this is a bit much to take in but we'll take it one step at a time."

She hoists herself out of her chair and I do the same. When she offers me her hand I manage an earnest smile.

"My name's Mel. When do you want to start?"

"I can start whenever you need me to." I answer shaking her hand.

"Great. Then you're starting now."

"SAM! I'M HOME," I call as I burst through the kitchen door where I find Sam in front of the stove, making dinner. My stomach rumbles when the smell of something delicious hits me. "Please tell me I'm not dreaming! Please tell me that this actually isn't chicken and steamed vegetables for once! Good God!"

Sam turns towards me, glaring.

"You make me sound like some sort of monster who constantly tries to starve you."

"Well, aren't you?" I walk up behind him, trying to get a glimpse of the food he's preparing.

"Oh come on, I'm not that bad! I'm just trying to-"

"So, my job interview went great," I change the subject as I know what's coming. Sam has been trying to get me to lose weight. It's obvious. Even if he's not saying it out loud, I can see what he's doing. He has been cooking nothing but vegetables and protein rich foods and it's really starting to piss me off. If I want to change my body, I'm going to do just that. I don't need him to passively try to brainwash me into changing my ways.

"Oh yeah?" 

"Yep. They hired me right off the bat. Didn't even really have to say a lot and Mel showed me everything I need to know to start working tomorrow. Mel's the store owner." I grin at him as he scoops prawns and some kind of sauce onto a plate of pasta. He puts the plate in front of me and gets himself some.