10 - In his house

10. Arya

Biting down on my lip nervously, I try to convince myself that what I'm doing is the right thing to do. In order to move on with my life, I need to make sure that everything is even. Make sure that there are no grudges being held, no negative thoughts against anyone. This is the only way.

"We can still turn around, you know." Sam offers, a muscle in his jaw twitching the tiniest bit whilst he stares at the road ahead.

"We're on a busy road and the only way for you to turn around would be illegal. So technically, we really can't turn around." I grin at that.

"Smart ass. I'm just saying. If you suddenly realize how stupid you're being, we can just turn around, go home, watch a movie. The offer is still on." His eyes flicker over to me for a second and I release my lip from my teeth.

"We're not turning around. I have to do this." I cross my arms in front of my chest as Sam turns the steering wheel, steering the car off of the busy highway.

What appears in front of me, leaves me stunned. Sam seems to have been expecting my reaction as he snickers humorlessly. In front of us large, white houses expand into the distance. Houses that I've only ever seen in movies or on television before now. They're mansions, not houses at all. Even though they are all kept very beautifully, to me they are scary and intimidating. They tower over us as Sam slowly drives by them.

"Where are we?" I question, stunned by my surroundings.

"What did you think where the Smith's live? Surely not in our sort of neighborhood."

I hadn't even thought about where he lives. Let alone what kind of house he lives in. I really should have known, though. He does seem like a rich kid with that fancy car of his. Come to think of it, he is the proper cliché. High school jock with the gorgeous, cheerleader girlfriend, rich parents and sports career.

Someone get me out of this 90's teen movie!

"Get out." Sam barks suddenly, shutting off the cars engine and leaning over me to push open my door.

"Which one does he live in?" I ask, swinging my legs out of the car.

Sam points at one of the mansions. The expression on my face can only be described as pure shock when I step out of the car. This mansion seems to be even grander and cleaner than the others. It also appears to be very centered. As if the other houses are build around it. In front of the mansion, a cobble stone path leads up to a iron large gate.

"Call me if you need me." Without another word, Sam shuts the door behind me and drives off. There was indifference in his voice but I don't have time to worry about that now. I know Sam doesn't like Seth but I can't let this affect me right now. I'm on a mission here!

I march up to the scary mansion, feeling more than out of place. I feel like the infamous elephant in the room as I step up to the gate, finding the intercom. I let my eyes wander over the intricate carvings in the iron gate but quickly pull myself together. Pushing my finger down on a blinking red button, I wonder how anyone could feel comfortable here. How could this really be anyone's home?

"Smith residence, how may I help you?" A welcoming female voice calls through the intercom.

I push the button again and get closer to the intercom. "My name is Arya. I'm friends with, er, Seth and wanted to make sure he's alright?"

I curse myself for not being able to sound more confident or business-like. Instead, I sound like a little girl who's picking up her friend for a play date. And this is far from a play date.

"Oh that's very nice of you, young lady, but he's not ready to have visitors at the moment. I am very sorry." The woman apologizes and I bite down on my lip, hard.