30 - Grown

Something that I have to say before you read the following chapter:

I am trying to wrap this story up as quickly as possible, simply because I do not want to leave this story open. To not go insane I need to find an end. I used to love writing this but I don't anymore and I don't really have the time to write stories that I don't feel passionate about. So I have jumped 2 years into the future. I'm trying to find an end that we will both be satisfied with so don't just give up on me!

I will try to not leave any questions unanswered so if there are specific things that you want/need to know, please ask in the comments so I can include the answers in the following chapters!

Now on to the story!

30. Arya

"I feel like I haven't talked to you in ages", I gnaw at my bottom lip as it starts to quiver. Sam sighs on the other line.

"I know... But it's only been two weeks and I will see you soon." He puts on his 'reassuring' voice but I've been talking to him over the phone for almost two years now and I've got his act down to a science. His voice was just a tiny bit shakier and higher pitched than usual. He misses me just as much as I miss him.

"Not soon enough, that's for sure", another sigh from my cousin. "Anyway tell me about your new roommate. Is he driving you insane yet?"

After Sam had been arrested for common assault, he had been put into jail. Mr. Smith had gone through with his threat of getting Sam arrested and for the longest time it didn't seem like he would give up. After a while I had lost count of how many times Sam had been to court but he would tell me how inhumane and cold Mr. Smith looked in the court room every time. Sam was sure that he was going to be locked away for a really long time. So he had lost hope after three months in jail. The court decided to treat Sam like an adult instead of a teenager so he was sentenced to six months of prison and two years house arrest. Out of the blue Mr. Smith dropped charges and completely let the whole thing fall without explanation. We didn't question it.

Fortunately our social worker managed to get Sam into a home for young adults with criminal past. It was a real blessing. He would have been homeless otherwise because he had lost all of his state support to pay for the house. He had lost his parents' house.

At first neither Sam nor I expected much but his new home is great. He shares a room with a roommate and can pretty much manage his day however he wants. The home also offered a home schooling program and Sam managed to get his high school diploma. He is now working for a break-shop across the street and couldn't be happier. Well, I guess he could but we'll get to that.

"He's alright. Quite young actually. Think he's around your age. Pretty boy but tattooed from head to toe. Think he might be in a gang. When he got here, he was beat bloody and had a broken nose", I winced at the thought of it. "He's probably not staying for long, though. He doesn't seem like the type to stay quiet and you know how they are about loud kids here."

His last room-mate decided to punch his therapist and was thrown out immediately after having lived there for over a year. The supervisors have to be strict to keep the peace.

"Sam, it's almost three o'clock. Kent is probably waiting already." I apologize, say goodbye and hang up.

I have to hurry now. It's a ten minute walk to get to Kent.

As I leave the main building I catch a glimpse of myself in the glass doors. I stop for a second and take a look at myself. The past two years have aged me quite a bit. The bags under my eyes have disappeared and I got a bit of a tan but my face has slimmed down and I have matured. Most people would still call me fat but I like what I see. Dark skinny jeans hug my legs perfectly and a white blouse hints at my curvy torso.