A Demon's Tears

Bright lights, soft music, and laughter filled the air. The aroma of champagne and savory delicacies accentuate the grand and festive ball, truly what is expected from a Phantomhive. Commemorating the success of a new product line, the young boy, slate-haired and blue-eyed, was forced yet again to throw one of those fancy balls that he had built quite a reputation with. Not everyone are granted the privilege to attend these legendary gatherings, only the finest of finest nobles...

Ciel was smiling, laughing, resounding with those occasional nods or hums of approval but he never really listens to a word from the tiring stories about their own ambitions or achievements. Throwing a ball and faux socializing with other nobles was never his cup of tea. He despises most of the people he was with as of the moment but being an earl, a well-known businessman and an associate to the queen, society won't ever allow him to convey it. Leaving him behind yet another mask to wear in front of a crowd.

The pained look upon his beloved's face as he wore his mask of indifference was sure enough to be ecthed upon his brain. But the inevitable pain of Sebastian's words still ring against his ear, fueling his drive to keep the demon in his place and set aside the passionate feeling he has towards him.

"Do you wish to retire soon, master?" The devil himself asked, with a gentle tone that never fail to calm the young earl.

"I do, but it seems there's still way too many guest for me to take my leave." Ciel said. An unsettling silence followed suit, something which has been a normal occurence since the incident in Ciel's study a few nights back.

"Bocchan?" Sebastian suddenly called, making the bluenette's heart skip a beat. Ciel had always been fond of how his demon referred him of such. To him, it is something close to that of an endearment. And how the earl had missed hearing it from Sebastian's lips as he stopped calling him that since their fight.

"Yes?"

"May I talk to you? About that night inside your study.." the velvety baritone voice asked. Ciel was facing front, eye of blue focusing anywhere but the demon beside him, yet his breathing hitch and stiff as he tried finding his voice to speak and respond.

"It was all in the past. Must we really bring such gloomy event during a festivity?" The earl's voice was calm, but being with him for years made it easier for Sebastian to pick up the slight raise of octave and the ragged breath between each words.

"Please, my lord. Just hear me out. I do not wish for you to respond. You will do no more than to listen. Just grant me the priviledge to say this to you." Ciel knew that not knowing what Sebastian badly wanted to say would haunt him for the rest of his life. After a moment of silence and a heavy exhale, he beckoned the demon to follow and made his way up inside his bedroom.

Sebastian closed the door. Faced the young earl who stood against the large window pane of his chamber as the light from the moon illuminated his small figure.

Despite having his back turned against his butler, Ciel was pretty much aware of how close Sebastian was to him before he stop his strides, aware of the intense stare burning the back of his head, and most especially aware of how loud his own chest booms with every second of anticipation.

After god knows how long of standing in the dark, the demon finally broke the silence, his low and sultry voice seeming like a harmony as it bounced across the hollow and wide chamber of his master.

"The things that left my mouth that evening.. None of those I truly meant." Sebastian started, aware of the small gasp from the boy facing the other way.

"I believe it was my rage speaking.. Jealousy rather.. Never had I experienced that kind of bitterness before, not over anything. It was simply my mistake reckoning you were merely making a fool out of me when I overheard you confess your love to the lady Elizabeth." Ciel's blue eye widen. Wanted nothing more than to correct the demon's misconception, but his wounded pride and shattered heart willed him not to.