A Demon's Mate

The carriage ride, back to the Phantomhive estate was quiet and awkward. To Ciel's part, atleast.. Sebastian showed no sign of being affected by the same rampant thoughts swirling inside Ciel'd brain as of then.. Or maybe it was well hidden behind his luminous smile and graceful moves as he casually served his master tea?

One thing for certain is that no matter how hard Ciel try, he just couldn't shake his new found information off. His mind kept on drifting back to last night's mention of this so called "demon's mate"...

The idea was easily dismissed as fast as it was uttered, but Ciel, being the stubborn boy that he was, demanded some thorough explanation from the demon's part once back at the familiar grounds of his manor, wasting no time as he had asked his butler all about it when the latter brought him his late night tea.

"It's nothing, my lord. Some petty title that I shouldn't have brought up in the first place. Please pay it no mind, for I wasn't on the the right state upon mentioning it." With a growl full of ire, the boy commanded:

"Tell me all about this demon's mate, that's an order!" As frustrated as he can be, Sebastian gulped before conjuring up the right words to explain the consequence of his inhibitions.

"Well, a demon is entitled to only one mate, contrary to common belief, it is some sort of a bond that ties together two beings eternally. This bond shall be upon aspect of every sense, a stronger emotional bond, spiritual and psychological; allowing each parties to sense whatever their other half required, sensing their distress or an impending trouble. Very much like our own, only stronger and the fact that this bond shall not end after a particular goal nor it requires a payment of some sort. A bond beyond life and death, as my kind calls it." Explained the demon, now fully regretting ever mentioning it before his lover.

"How can a mortal fulfill an eternal bond?" Asked the curious earl.

"I've heard about it from fellow demons, ones that forcebly arranged the bond without the consent of the mortal, against their will if you may, I have mentioned that demons who tend to fall for the curse of loving a mortal naturally never get those feelings returned, yes? How you managed to fall for a creature such as I, is still beyond me." Added the demon, with a genuine smile.

"The mortal is to stay human, but bounded by the life force of their demon mate, sharing the same fate with it. The mortal lives so long as the demon does and die with them when the time comes." Sebastian said, closing his mouth signalling the end of his explanation.

"So basically like an eternal marriage?" Inquired the earl.

"If you put it in a mortal sense, then yes.. It is quite similar to that of you call marriage." Said Sebastian as he watched the color of blood rush through Ciel's cheeks, all the while heard the sudden change of his beating heart from calm to erratic.

It has only been.. what? A few days of having been lovers, just a few days ago since their first kiss, and Sebastian's already offering an eternal tie? All seems to be a bit sudden, a bit too fast, but as Ciel recalled the fear and palpable anxiety evident through his lover's crimson orbs, it crossed his mind that what if becoming his mate is the only assurance the demon needs? Although the bigger question lies as to how prepared Ciel is upon entering such devotional covenant.

"I can't do that.. Not yet.." Ciel shook his head and bit his bottom lip, looking down and staring at his feet.