A Demon's Choice

The day went about slowly, earl and butler casually conversing and interacting behind their own mask that hid whatever anguish they felt that night, three days ago. Ciel choose to wear a bored scowl; Sebastian wore his sickly sweet smile, yet both pair of eyes burned with the truth every time their gaze lock unto one another.

Ciel could very well throw a tantrum, he could just purposely ignore his butler and request the assistance of the other servants, but chose not to. He is a Phantomhive, the queen's guard dog, the earl of the manor, not some pathetically broken-hearted boy.. Or at least that's what he aims to appear.. The challenge was to act cold and indifferent in front of Sebastian, treat him the way he did before the puny little thing called love got involve, and act as if he was nothing more than a mere butler. To Ciel, having a broken heart is just like breaking a teacup, better leave it broken than further hurt yourself trying to fix it.. And he is going to do just that..

"Groom the mansion. Elizabeth sent a letter to inform her visit later this afternoon. Have the servants prepare the guest room for she intends to stay for the night." Said the earl after wiping his lips with a napkin, setting aside the half eaten meal to stand up and pretend to focus unto his duties.

"As you wish, my lord." The demon said with a curt bow, like how any faithful servant would have done.

Sebastian took his leave and performed his tasks flawlessly, heart growing weary every passing moment. Will they stay like this till the end of the contract? Is there no chance at all for things to go back the way before? It was only then that the demon realized how dull and boring his entire existence had been before he met Ciel. He was alive but never had he experience living until he was by the boy's side. No one had challenge his beliefs like the boy had, no one dared acted higher than him, no one had caught his attention and interest like the boy had, and nobody ever had or ever will capture his heart like Ciel Phantomhive did...

A bitter chuckle passed his lips as he recalled how he said he regretted meeting the boy. That he wished never to have met him or to be contracted to him. He thought falling in love with Ciel was the curse that he had to find a cure for, then why is it that not being with the bluenette felt more like a curse to him?

"Mr. Sebastian.. Are you sure you're ok?" A small voice asked, snapping the demon out of his deep and regretful thought. Eyes of crimson stared blankly at the young blond by his side, his soft features showing a genuine concern for the demon.

"I'm alright, Finny. Why ever do you think I'm not?" Sebastian responded with a smile.

"Well, first of all, I have never seen you space out from a job before. And these past few days, it feels like you and the young master have some sort of barrier between you two.." Finnian truthfully said.

"Nonsense. The young master and I... Well... We're fine.." The demon mumbled, another thing that he never had done before.. The perfect butler that the Phantomhive servants look up to never hesitates, never stutters, never lost focus over any task no matter how simple and small it was.

"The whole manor can practically feel it, Mr. Sebastian. The usual bickering, gone.. The teases, the jokes, the playful comments, all gone too. It's actually more quiet during the day rather than the night." The blond's eyes appeared crestfallen, reminiscing how the usual graceful butler criticizes their job and called them a pain every single day, how his master with an insatiable sweet-tooth used to wolf down his desserts.. Now, Sebastian rarely even notice their mistakes and Ciel barely even touch his meals..

"You two will get pass this.. We know you can.. You guys have the strongest bond that we have ever seen." Finny offered at the demon's silence. Sebastian, for once smiled genuinely and affectionately ruffled the mess of blond locks atop the boy's head.