CHAPTER 17

"If all else perished, and he remained, I shall still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger."

I read aloud and look at Drew, whose head lay on my lap. He is fast asleep. I place the book on my bedside table and pull the duvet over him. His hair falls slightly on his forehead.I brush them away and kiss his forehead.

What am I going to do? I need to find a way to get out of all this. I can't risk Andrew's life again. I need to talk to Steve Adair. I am sure he is behind all this. I grab my phone and search for his contact. 

Can we meet? 

I text him. It is very important for me to find out what he is up to. My phone beeps.

Tomorrow at noon, meet me at my office.

I will have to make up an excuse so that Drew doesn't ask many questions. I get off the bed and head to the kitchen. Drew's duffel bag catches my sight. I see an envelope sticking out of it. My name is written on the envelope. It looks old as they are stains on the envelope. It has a stamp mark on it but I think it was never posted. I take out the sheets of paper.

Dear Kate,

As I sit here, writing you this letter, there are so many things that's going on in my head but I still haven't figured out about what exactly I should say to you. There is this void in my heart my heart which I have felt since the day you left me. I have always been scared to face this fact and living in denial doesn't really help. I wish I could let you know what I truly feel. I have always been scared when someone starts to mean a lot to me and that's what happened when I met you. You stayed by my side and never complained. You gave life a meaning. You taught me how to be myself again. You accepted me with all my flaws and that's all I had ever asked for.

I don't know what to do. I try to reach out to you but then I realize that you are long gone now. You had told me that time is always going to teach us something new. Something which would help us to be better. I know that I have made mistakes but why did you leave? The memory of you leaving is always there. It haunts me. I don't know where can I find you. I just want you to hold me and make these nightmares go away. You told me that I have a brave heart but I am no more that way. I can't get through this. You were always different and that is the best thing about you.

I have always laughed when I am with you. You make me feel like I am capable of achieving my dreams. Kate, you mean so much to me and that's never going to change. I love you and I can't let you go. I want you to come back and I promise you that I will be a better person and I will not make the same mistakes. I don't want  apart from you. I don't know why you left but all I can do is to wish the best for you.

I hope you find the person you are looking for and I hope that you find happiness. I want you to take care of yourself. I will be here, waiting for you to come back. If you are ever feeling like things are getting worse, always know that they will get better. I miss you Kay.  And I will be there. Always. I love you. 

Goodbye.

Love, Drew.

I wipe the tears away and look at the man I'm so irrevocably in love with. He just wanted me to be happy. He was waiting for me to come back to him and take away all the pain. And all I did was run far away from him. I wish I could take away his sufferings. I keep the letter back in its place and get in bed with him. I hold him tightly against me. 

"I hope the stars smile down at us and the fate stay by our side. I hope that I could give you all that you want and be a part of you. Will I be enough? That's the question. But I promise to love you unfathomably." I whisper to him.

I won't let anything happen to him.

I won't let him suffer anymore.

  ***

Drew snuggles in my neck and I pull his lips gently to mine. 

"Good morning Babe." I laugh when he scrunches up his nose. I kiss him on his nose and get off the bed.

"Please come back to bed. I want to snog you." He pleads.

"No snogging. Get out of the bed Drew." He makes a loud noise and covers his face with the duvet. It's 10 already and I have to go and meet Steve.

"Andrew." I call out to him from the bathroom.

"Yes Kay."

"I have some work so I will be leaving in an hour." I need him to believe me.

"Okay. What work?"

"I have to plan out some work with David. I will be back in a few hours."

"Okay. Just come home soon. I will miss you."

"I will miss you too." I just wish that the meeting with Steve goes well. I need to know what exactly is going on. Anything can happen. They can hurt anyone related to me.

I quickly hop in for a shower and get ready in a formal skirt and blouse. Drew has to think that it is a formal meeting otherwise he will ask me 10 more questions.

"I like you in formals." Drew says.

"Thank you." I pick up my handbag and my phone. I kiss Drew for a brief moment.

"I love you."

"I love you. Please come back soon."

"I will." I quickly head downstairs and make my way out of the house.

I need to hurry up. It will take me about 30 minutes to reach his office but with the New York traffic, I doubt even if the 30 minutes is enough.

I pull out Drew's car from the parking and head towards Steve's office. There are so many things which are going on in my mind. What will happen? What if Steve is not behind all this? And even if he is then what will I do to stop him. That man is crazy. 

I glance in my rear view mirror and spot a black SUV following me closely. The windows are heavily tinted so I can't see the driver. I increase the speed of my car and I leave the SUV behind. My phone starts ringing. I try to reach out for it but it falls under the car seat. I leave it and focus on driving.

The phone starts ringing again. It might be Drew. Is he fine? I need to find the phone. It maybe an emergency. I try to find the phone but can't reach out of it. I keep my hand on the steering wheel and duck down to retrieve my phone. As I get hold of my phone, I see a truck driving straight at me.

I try to head the other way but there is no time. The car crashes in the truck's front. The seat belt digs in to my flesh. I slam back in my seat as the car comes to a halt. 

 All I can think about is Drew. I hope that he is alright.

I feel someone pull me out from the car. I can't see who it is. My head is spinning and I feel shooting pain in my left leg. What's going on?

"Hello Princess. Let's get you home."

That voice. I have heard it before. I can't understand anything. Everything around me seems to be moving faster. What's going on? Who is he? 

"Drew.....

A/N Thank you everyone for being patient and waiting for my update. I know I am late but my majors are going on and I will be starting my second year at Uni so it has been keeping me very busy. I still have three more examinations to go so I won't be able to update anytime soon. 

I hope you guys like this chapter. Can you guess who is this man? And what do you think is going to happen to Kate?