Chapter 1. Pontiac Firebird -68

Laura couldn't for the life of god remember where she had put her car key. Every day it was the same ritual, the same ordeal. This was really getting on her nerves.

Her eyes darted back and forth in the kitchen, eventually falling on her handbag.

Reaching for it, she picked it up and then she turned her handbag upside down with a feeling of increasing stress, making all of its contents fall out on the kitchen counter with a noisy clatter.

"Oh for crying out loud" she muttered to herself when eyeing the mess she had created.

No, the key was not there. She put her hand to her forehead in a desperate gesture.

A quick visit into the living room and the table in front of the Tv made her state the obvious, that the key was not there either, only all of their numerous remotes and a nasty pile of newspapers.

A thought came to her mind.

Could it be that maybe HE had taken it. Her son Lance had that nasty habit of borrowing her car key AND the car that went with it whenever he felt like it. And almost every time he did it without telling her, OR asking her.

It would not surprise her at all if that was the case, especially now when she really needed the bloody car. Well, needed was a pretty harsh word really, she was just going to take it down to the mall. Nothing needy about that trip, just a heat of the moment decision for her own shopping pleasure.

All of a sudden she made a hasty turn and walked over to the key safe, they COULD actually be in there for a change. Would she dare make a silent bet?

She opened the tiny door slowly and found to her joy the key hanging there on one of the small hooks inside.

With a swift motion she grabbed it and then she took her handbag with just her purse in it this time, and then she was out the door. Key safely in hand.

(Laura Stevens, the mother of two grown up sons, had shoulder-length dark hair and a slim and slender body. A body which she insisted on dressing in worn out jeans and tight t-shirts. She had a pair of deep green eyes completing her beautiful face, and lush pink lips. Hardly anyone could believe that she was in fact 41, her lifestyle telling everybody different. The credits, for her being that young at heart and physically fit, was probably her sons.

Lance 23 years old, and Phil 22 years old, the Stevens brothers as they were called amongst their friends in town, kept feeding their mother with youthful adventures. They always insisted to have her along on most of the stuff they did, because deep inside they were very proud to have such a beautiful and young looking mother.)

* * *

Lance and Phil stood on the driveway outside the house where their friend Cody Warner 24 years old, lived. 

They were discussing the exhaust system on Cody's Pontiac Firebird -68 with him.

Their interest and love for cars and motorcycles was one of the things that glued these three friends together.

"That thing has to be ordered, I'm sure," Phil said, "There is no way in hell old man Brady has got that at home."

Cody glanced at him with his penetrating eyes and he pursed his lips hard."Well, I'll have to order pretty quickly then huh, " he reasoned, "I know how loitering that old man can be."

Lance and Phil gave him knowing glances.

Cody knew, because a couple of years back he had dated Brady's daughter Marla. A wonderful girl, really.

But, that relationship had ended with a great hullabaloo after having a major quarrel over at the bar 'The Pint', about the fact that Cody had devoted too much time eyeing another woman.