Chapter 22. Sense of serenity.

Lance stood almost frozen to the spot in the darkness furthest down in the hallway as he stared in the direction  towards  his mom's bedroom door.

 He'd told Sue that he would just take a quick check around the house and then be back soon by her side in bed. But now he wasn't so sure anymore. He felt glued to the spot.

 From a small window a faint glow from the moonlight illuminated his features as he stared at himself in the hallway mirror.

 Damn it.

I look like a ghost. . . or I look like I have seen a ghost? A thought of what could describe him the best crossed his mind for a brief second. Well, it was pretty much just pick and choose between those two as he felt after what he'd just seen..

 He breathed heavily as he searched his inner self for divine strength. He could certainly use it by now.

 He had thought of himself as crazy for being suspicious, for thinking those preposterous thoughts. . . but my god, he had been right.

He almost thought that his eyeballs would pop out from their sockets as he saw his best friend silently snuck his way into their mother's bedroom just a few minutes ago.

 Then his jaw had literally collided with the tile floor in the hallway as his mother willingly opened the door to let him in.  What the fu. . ?

 What the HELL was going on here?

 Shaking himself from his stupor, he started to silently walk down the hall towards his mother's room. He was sure going to find out what was the deal here, even though his gut feeling told him that he wouldn't like it at all. Not one tiny bit.

 ~     ~      ~

Cody tried his best to master the raging feelings of wrath that he felt were consuming him from the inside.

 The muscles in his jaw almost snapped due to the pressure he stowed upon them by clenching the jaw tight with fury, and his eyes transformed into the darkest black as he got up and started pacing back and forth like a madman beside her bed.

 Every now and then he stopped and stared at Laura, shaking his head like he could not believe what she'd just told him. Then he  just started  pacing again, growling incoherent sentences to himself low under his breath.

 "Cody. . " Laura whispered tentative at him, his reaction scaring her a great deal, "Please calm down."

 He stopped in mid stride and stared at her with his eyes flashing.

 "CALM  DOWN ?" he hissed. " Are you kidding me? Seriously?" 

 My god, she really had no idea, had she?

 Even though he had told her, time and time again that he loved her more than life itself, she obviously had no clue.

"Yes Cody," she tried with as much persuasiveness she could, "You have to, because you do not know the whole picture yet."

 He snorted and placed his fists at his hips as he stopped right in front of her. His chest heaved with heavy breathing, and the thoughts that occupied his brain at the moment made it really hard to calm down.

 "I will calm 'the fuck' down, the moment I cut the bastards balls off of him, okay? Then I will calm down even more the moment I will get the satisfaction from beating the absolute shit out of him. Get it?" Cody  hissed through his teeth .

Laura rose to standing and stared back at him, defying his dark and dangerous stare with all that she had.

 "Cody.  He knows!" she then exclaimed throwing her arms out in a desperate gesture, "Neal knows about us."