Chapter 19. It's just a button.

Cody sat casually leant back, resting against his bike, and he was involved in a conversation with some of the numerous biker girls that had stopped by, whilst strolling past them, in hope of getting a word or two with the handsome guy.

From a few feet away, Phil studied the all but too familiar scene of their friend and three very good looking species of the opposite sex.

With a slight shake of his head he let out a chuckle. Absentmindedly he reached for the inside pocket of his jacket and took out the small button he'd found in his mother's room, and started to fiddle with it.

A few minutes later, Lance and Sue returned from one of the food tents with bags in hand. Squatting down, Lance began to dish out to each and everyone what they had ordered, then when he was done, he sat down more relaxed and urged Sue to do the same and join him.

"I'm fuckin' starving," he mumbled and dug into his food, "I could probably eat a horse!"

"Well, you might be doing that." Phil said with amusement and pointed at his food, "You never know what they put inside these boxes."

Lance looked up from his food box, with a frown over his face. It subsided slowly to give way to a broad and wolfish grin as he swallowed what he'd put in his mouth.

"Tastes good to me. Seems like even an old nag gets delicious with the right seasoning" he smirked, then his eyes drifted in Cody's direction.

He was still sitting all relaxed, leaning on his bike. Lance could see the confident grin all over his face as the girls did what they could to outdo one another, calling for his attention.

Lance rolled his eyes.

It was way to easy for Cody. So easy it was almost embarrassing. But something was different though, Lance could tell.

Cody wasn't the normal 'predator' self that he used to be. Instead he seemed to hold back. And he seemed to hold back a great deal too.

"Isn't he hungry at all?" Lance then said, pointing a lame finger at him and the girls.

"Obviously not" Marla said low and then she also rolled her eyes. "That is so typical him."

Phil gave her a worried glance, and she saw it. She smiled a soft smile back at him.

"I'm okay with it Phil, honestly" she reached out to caress his cheek with her fingers, "With you by my side it gets easier for each and every day" she gave out a sigh as she traced his jawline, "I care about you. . . A lot.

Phil blew out the breath that he had been holding, then he began to fiddle with the button again. He offered Marla a thankful smile. It was the first time she sounded sincere.

"I care about you too, a lot" he replied with a murmur.