Chapter 33. Game on, baby! (The end)

Cougartown comes to an end. . . for now! Please vote and comment to let me now your feelings about the story. . .

Laura's mind went blank and she stared at Cody with her mouth agape. Her heart kick started and began pumping like she had been in the bloody Indy 500 race.

"Murder?" she hissed and felt all the air abandon her lungs.

Cody nodded, taking hold of her waist with his arm. The grip around her was protective and affectionate.

"Apparently a former girlfriend of his was killed some years ago, and the case had come to a standstill. Now as the news about yours and Marla's case against him hit the big town, they obviously saw some similarities with the old case and decided to re-open it. Kay is still in chock as he'd been told that all this time Neal have had eyes on him. Kay had no idea."

Laura took great gulps of air and tried to calm her breathing back down to normal. She leaned her head against Cody's chest, inhaling the familiar scent of him that she had come to love so much.

"Oh god! I feel so sorry for Kay." she whispered, "He must feel so bad right now."

Cody snaked his arm further around her, holding her closer to him.

"Probably."  he murmured.

The door opened and Lance stepped inside, coming to a halt when he saw his mother and Cody in a tight embrace. He gave them a frown and walked over to the sink.

Cody turned his head and watched him. His lips curled into a lopsided smirk as he saw the look on Lance's face. Laura dared just a small smile.

"Christ! I will never get used to this." they could hear him mutter as he washed his hands.

Cody chuckled softly and released his hold on Laura, and then he turned the whole way around so that he was facing Lance.

"Hold your horses man," he told his friend as he walked over to him,"I just comforted her, okay?"

Lance snapped his head up, his forehead wrinkled.

"Comforted? Why?"

Cody glanced back at Laura and she nodded her approval to him.

"You can tell him. In the meantime, I will take a bath." she mumbled and turned on her heels and left the kitchen.

Cody gave her a long look as she left, appreciating the view she spoiled him with, then he turned back to Lance.

"Let's sit down," he motioned towards the table, "We have a lot to talk about."

Pulling the chairs out, they sat down and Cody started the unpleasant task of bringing Lance up to speed regarding Neal.

~   ~     ~

Slowly she sank down into the tub, and she let the hot water envelope her body completely. Laura shivered with pleasure and closed her eyes as she finally settled in the warmth.

She really needed this.

It was like balm to the soul. The hot water was  caressing her body.

Opening her eyes she was focusing on a spot on the wall in front of her and her thoughts drifted away.