Chapter 21. High on speed.

The silence around the table was almost unbearable. Just some faint clatter from the forks and knifes that were used by each end everyone around it, could be heard.

Laura shuddered slightly. She really wasn't hungry at all, but she tried to make the effort to eat, or else her bloodhound of a son Lance would know that something was wrong. He was staring at her like crazy. It made her feel very uncomfortable.

The few times she'd actually dared to meet his gaze, his jaw had been rigid and his mouth pursed into a thin hard line. It was like he had an inner debate of some kind in his head, one that he did not like at all.

She looked around the table. Thankfully the girls seemed blissfully unaware, but she saw that, that wasn't the case with Cody.

Because Cody was also receiving the death glare from Lance. He carefully diverted his eyes and met Laura's, giving her a roll of his eyes. Slowly mouthing 'I love you' to her as discretely as possible, he then gave her a wink of his eye.

She couldn't help the smile that tugged at her lips.

"What's so damn funny?" Lance blurted out with a harsh voice, startling all of them around the table. He stared at Laura, the glare turning almost fatal. "Tell me."

Both Sue and Marla stopped eating and looked paralyzed up at him.

Laura jumped at his outburst, and she was sure her heart missed a beat just because of it.

She'd never heard him use that tone of voice towards her before.

"Well, a thought just hit me." Laura said with just a hint of nervousness, then she took a short breather, the look she got from Lance really gave her the chills, "I'm amazed that you all actually avoided speeding tickets this year. I know the cops in that county can be downright assholes sometimes. The girls must have good influence on you guys."

She gazed around the table. Marla and Sue met her gaze with dazzling smiles, but Lance, and now even Phil's, eyes were showing signs of their famous 'Oh yeah, bullshit!' glare.

Where the hell did that cop thing come from? Well, the asshole part couldn't be more accurate that's for sure.

"Okay, we somehow managed to slip on that thing this year, " he humored her with a soothing voice, but his eyes told her a different story, "Marla and Sue has that effect on us. Kudos to them"

Laura breathed out a sigh, thinking that was the end of that distressingly and unpleasant discussion.

She regretted that thought the moment she thought it.

"Why Cody did not get one, I can't fathom." Lance snarled as he gazed at his mother, "Because it looked like he was high on speed the whole day."

His eyes searched her up and down like he expected her to react on what he had said. Or maybe say anything.

Damn it. What's his problem?

Laura felt the muscles in her face freeze, and she started to breathe heavily through her nose.

For a moment she stared down on her plate, but then she determinately raised her gaze and met his dark eyes.

"Good for him." she said forcefully, and with a strong will she actually managed to keep her gaze steady at her son, "I don't know what's your problem son, but please let us not spoil this supper here, okay? I do not like the tone of your voice."

Lance rolled his eyes at her words, and snorted defiantly.

He breathed in and out heavily as he stared at her, then his eyes diverted to Cody for a brief second before he spoke.