seven

Jada

"Mama, get up! Daddy's home, daddy's home!" I felt my bed moving up and down, and I took a peek and saw Khalil and Khaila jumping on my bed like two wild animals.

"Get the hell off my bed!" I laughed, sitting up. Khaila flopped on her butt while Khalil jumped to the floor and then kissed me before giving me a hug. "I'm home," he smiled. I smiled as I hugged him. "Finally, I missed you."

He kissed my hand and looked up at me,"I missed you more. Come on, there's a breakfast downstairs waiting for us. Let's catch up a bit?"

***

"So you met Justin huh?" Khalil asked Khaila as she munched on a bowl of Froot Loops. "Oh yes," she cheesed at the thought of him. "He's so fun! You should meet him."

I snickered and whispered to Khalil loud enough so Khaila could hear,"I think she has a crush on him."

"Do not!" She exclaimed. I smiled and took my bagel out the toaster. "Better not," Khaila playfully growled at her, tickling under her chin. She giggled and squirmed in her seat.

"I hope I don't have to leave soon," Khalil groaned. "I really want to stay home and focus on my two favorite girls and my music."

"Which do you like best?" I tested him. "Hmmm," he thought,"I do have a thing for my music." Khaila striked him right in the head,"Daddy!"

"I'm kidding, Khaila. Of course I love you more than music. Don't know about ya mama, though," he mumbled the last part. "Shut up!"

He laughed,"I'm just messing with y'all. Damn."

"Watch your mouth please," I said, more seriously. "My bad," he nodded and held my hand. "So, Sunday dinner at Maejor's tonight, right?"

I nodded,"Of course."

"And Justin's gonna be there?" He asked. I shrugged and took a bite from my bagel,"Probably."

"Alright," he nodded. "Well," he rubbed his hands together. "Y'all can finish y'all breakfast. I'm gonna go finish unpacking and then maybe take a little nap."

He walked out and I followed him. "You're just gonna take a nap as soon as you get home? You don't think your daughter missed you while you were gone?" Things were going good, but I should've known it wouldn't last long.

"Maybe I'm tired, Jada. Please don't start," he groaned. "You own one of the best, most comfortable private jets in the industry, one where naps feel like Heaven. Don't give me that, Khalil. You can stay up to keep your daughter happy," I crossed my arms.

"I've been working all week, Jada. Lay the fuck off."

"And what do you think I've been doing?" I've been at home watching our child 24/7 by myself. He didn't think I'd want a break? Maybe I needed a nap.

"Playing family with Justin," he said. "Shut the fuck up," I hissed. "It's true. Y'all been happy go lucky since he got back. I've seen the pics."

"I told you that we were hanging with Justin. You're making it some like it was some big secret," I said in a harsh whisper. The last thing I needed was Khaila worrying about her bond with Justin.

"How do you think it makes me feel that another man is playing daddy role with my child while I'm gone?"

"It should make you feel like you should be home with your child, instead of leaving her every other week."

He was really getting on my nerves, and  now I wanted him to go nap. Anything to get the hell away from me.

"Whatever." He walked away from me to our bedroom and slammed the door behind him.

Khaila crept from the kitchen,"D-daddy doesn't like Mr. Justin?" She asked quietly, probably not wanting Khalil to even hear her. "No, sweetie," I bent down to her height,"Daddy's just tired. Him and Mr. Justin are great friends, you'll see at the dinner tonight, okay?" I gave her back a rub and a warm smile. She cheesed,"Yes mommy."

"Okay," I kissed her cheek,"Let's go watch tv."

I picked her up and carried her to the couch where we watched an old episode of Spongebob.

She was cuddled up on my chest while my finger played in her hair. "Mommy?"

"Yes baby?"

"What'll happen if daddy says that I can't play with Mr. Justin anymore?"

I sighed,"He can't.....," I stopped myself and exhaled,"I don't even know, Khaila."