forty six

Jada

"What would be the perfect gift for his problematic ass?" I asked. I was at work, at my desk searching for inspiration during my break. I knew for a fact that I wasn't proposing with a ring. Justin's a man, he's not gonna want a ring with a fat ass diamond. Yeah, he'd accept it cause he's a puss, but he won't really like it as much as I female would.

So it's up to me to figure out what he'll want.

I'm getting my man something expensive, but not something too expensive. It wouldn't make sense, he can easily top whatever I get.

I want to get him something that's useful. Not something that'll sit around and catch dust. I want him to be able to look at or even use my gift frequently, so he'll think of me.

The only things Justin do that are in my head are:

golf (ew, no)

paint (ever since he colored a full picture he thinks he's Picasso)

camp

And just hangout with friends.

"Why do I feel like I'm forgetting something?" I groaned out loud.

One of my coworkers named Brian came over and sat in one of the same extra chairs. "What's up, boo?" He said, crossing one leg over the other.

I turned and huffed,"Hey, Bry."

"What you doing?" He asked.

"Tryna see how I can propose to Justin. I want to include something he likes, but I don't know. All that I have written seems boring, I don't know."

"Lemme see?" I handed him the paper and he furrowed his eyebrows as he scanned the list.

"Bitch." He rested his hand on his hip. I laughed,"What, Brian?"

"Yo' slow ass really couldn't couldn't think of nothing else?"

"No."

"Girl I should slap the shit outta you," he laughed,"The sexy nigga is a singer. Why the hell isn't singing on the list?"

I slapped myself in the face. "I'm stupid as hell."

He chuckled,"Damn right. Thank God you're friends with a gay nigga, we're always the smartest."

"Shut the fuck up," I snorted,"Now how can I propose and include music in it?"

He shrugged,"Give him a diamond encrusted microphone."

I furrowed my eyebrows,"That's a thing." He shrugged,"Sure sounds like it. Let's Google it --"

"Mr. Smith, I'm sure it's not your break!" Our boss's voice rang throughout our floor. Brian rolled his eyes,"He's only picking on me cause he wants the D. Coming!" He turned to me again,"Later, J."

"Bye Brian," I giggled. I Googled images of diamond encrusted microphones and they were just beautiful. No matter how cheesy it was, I was sure that Justin would love and accept it genuinely.

I searched and then ordered the one I liked the most.

Just as I exited off the website, my phone rang and I wasn't surprised to see that it was Justin facetiming me.

Khaila and her friend were holding a play date at his house for the first time, and he obviously couldn't hold up.

"Hello?" I thought I saw Justin but then it seemed as his phone fell to the floor or something, because all I saw was a black screen.

"Shit," I heard him mutter,"Be careful!"

"Justin?"

"Jada? You home?--- Aye, aye! No jumping from the couch -- ugh!"

I laughed, someone sounds frustrated. "Justin, pick up your phone, stupid."

The darkness faded and I saw his weary face. "Hey, baby."

I giggled,"Well hello there. What's going on?"

"I've never been so ready for summer to end," he groaned,"Kids are wild."

"Yeah, you think?" If he thought this was the worst, he had another thing coming.

"Mommy! Is that mommy? Come on Christy, my mommy is on the phone!" I heard Khaila scream in the background. I chuckled when her face was on my screen,"Hi, baby."

"Hi Khaila. Are you being good for daddy?"

"No," Justin replied. "Yes," Khaila said cheerfully.

"Khaila, you and Christy better behave or else no more play dates for y'all," I said firmly. "Yes ma'am."

"Give the phone back to daddy," I said sweetly. She handed him the phone and in 2.5 seconds I heard the chaos again. Justin sighed and covered his face with his hands.

I giggled,"Deal with it for one more hour, I'll be there right after work."

"Can you just leave early?" He begged. I smiled,"I've been here since 6 this morning and I'm not complaining."

He smiled lightly,"You're right. Are y'all spending the night?" I smiled,"Yeah, we might."

I looked up and saw my boss leaning against the door with a light smile on my face. "Is my break over?" I whispered.

He nodded,"Just about." I sighed,"Alright, Justin. I'll call you once I'm on my way home."

"Okay, bye baby love you."

"Love you too." I hung up and looked at my boss. I fought the urge to roll my eyes at him before I turned in my chair.

"How are you, Ms. Monroe?" He asked. I've been working here for about a month and anyone with eyes could obviously see he had a crush on me.

"Good," I pursed my lips together. "That's grand. Was that your boyfriend?"

"Yes."

"Oh," he sat down,"I suppose you're hanging with him after your shift?"

I rolled my eyes as I typed on my computer,"Yes, I thought you heard that when you was dippin' in my conversation," I snapped.

"That's a shame," he said,"I was gonna invite you to dinner with me."

"Even if I didn't have plans, I'd have to pass on that offer," I said honestly, hoping that he'd get out my office.

He chuckled,"What were you looking at with Brian?"

I scoffed,"Is that any of your business?" He shrugged,"You two were so loud, if he wasn't gay I would've thought something."

I rolled my eyes in disgust. Don't get fired, Jada. Don't get fired today.

"Cool."

He chuckled lightly and pat my thigh,"Have a good rest of the night," he said. "You saying I can leave?"

"Yeah," he smiled,"If I get a kiss goodnight?"

I sunk back in my seat and sighed,"Guess I'm not leaving.."