eight

Justin

"Did you call her?" Maejor asked as I was getting dressed for his Sunday dinner. I finally got my license back and I was free to drive, hallelujah.

"No, I got scared," I admitted. He started laughing,"You're a bitch."

"Can you just invite her to the dinner or something?" I asked,"Please?"

"Fine. But her kids can't come, too many kids in the house make Angie get sad."

"Khaila comes," I pointed out. "Khaila or Jada won't take no for an answer. Besides, have you seen Khaila's face? No one can ever disappoint that little girl."

I smiled,"You're right. But I'll see you in a minute Maejor," I said. "Okay, bye."

"Bye." I hung up and slid on a pair of vans. I had got my hair cut earlier, and I looked pretty fresh if I said so myself.

I drove to Maejor's house and I was surprised to see that no other car was parked

I drove to Maejor's house and I was surprised to see that no other car was parked. I guess I was the first guest here.

"Hey," I said as I let myself in. "Well I'll be damned. Rick the Sizzler is gone," Angie leaned against the counter with a smirk on her face. I chuckled and hugged her. "Shut up. What'd you make? It smells good."

"We're having chicken alfredo with cheese broccoli and yellow rice." Maejor licked his lips,"That's a nigga meal. What ya' know about that, Justin?"

I snorted,"You saying this shit like I haven't ate a meal cooked by a black person before. I know y'all put it down in the kitchen." Angie smiled,"Thanks, white boy."

Well that brings back memories.

I just smiled politely and sat at the table while they finished off dinner before their company came. Finally the doorbell rang and I offered to get it.

"Hi," I was surprised to see the girl, Nicole. "I'm Justin," I offered my hand to shake.

"Nicole," she smiled and shook it,"Nice to meet you." I opened the door wider so she could come in and she sat across from me at the table.

"So you've met Justin, hm Nicki?" Maejor smirked at her, sitting a bowl of food in the middle of the table. "What'd I say about calling me that?"

"Come on, it's your name."

"Maejor, leave her alone and finish setting up the table. Her name is Nicole, last time I checked,"Angie joined in. I just chuckled, looking down at my silverware.

"Yes ma'am," Maejor mumbled, walking over to his wife.

"So," Nicole turned to me. "Friend of Maejor's?"

I nodded,"Best friend, actually."

She leaned in closer and smiled at me,"Don't tell him I said this, but I don't see how this loser has friends at all."

"Nicki, keep sneak dissing and watch what happens!"

"Who still says that? 'Sneak dissing'." Nicole asked, with an innocent smile. They brought out the food and joined us at the table.

"I thought Jada and her family was joining us?" I asked. "They were supposed to," Angie said as she sat down. "Who knows what happened."

We shrugged it off, said a short prayer and began to eat and talk.

***

Jada

"Shut up," I hissed as I rang the doorbell,"We're already late." It was his fault. First he woke up with an attitude, complained about the dinner, didn't want to give Khaila a bath, and then took forever to get dressed.

I wanted to leave him at home, but I didn't need everyone questioning me about Khalil's whereabouts.

Khaila was there for every single argument, and I knew her smart self knew that something wasn't right. But, she stayed smart and kept her mouth shut the whole time.

Angie opened the door and smiled at us. "Good, y'all made it."

"Sorry we're late," I flashed Khalil a death stare before we all walked in with fake smiles on our faces. "Mr. Justin!!" Khaila screamed and ran over to him. Justin smiled at her and took her in his arms, squeezing her tightly.

"Hey, princess." She cheesed,"You're eating dinner with us too?"

He nodded,"Every Sunday from here on out."

"Yes!" They hugged again before she took a seat between me and her father. "Nice to see you again, Khalil," Justin said politely.

Khalil smiled and shook his hand,"You too. I see you met my daughter." I fought to roll my eyes. Fake ass.

"Yeah," Justin grinned at Khaila."She's beautiful."

"Thanks."

"I'm sorry," I looked at the stranger at the table,"I didn't even see you. I'm Jada," I shook her hand. She smiled,"It's fine. I'm Nicole."

"Damn Justin. You found a girlfriend already?" I teased.

"Yes," Maejor coughed to cover his answer. Nicole's face heated up and Justin quickly shook his head. "No."

We laughed and continued dinner until everyone was finished. Maejor suggested that everyone stay for a bit and play board games but Khalil said that we couldn't.

"Khaila has school in the morning."

"Its 7:30. She'll live," I snapped at him,"We'll stay."

"No, we're going home."

I scoffed and excused us, walking with him outside while Khaila stayed in, playing with Justin and Nicole.

"Jada, I am sick of you making me look dumb. When I say the family is going home, we are going home."

"Excuse you, but this ain't the 1950s anymore. Women don't have to command their husband's every wish. Me and Khaila want to stay."

"Fine, but that doesn't mean I'll be home when you get back." He crossed his arms. "Nah nigga, you better not be with them hoes at the studio."

He ignored me and walked to the car, speeding away.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath as I walked back inside.

"Everything okay?" Angie asked. I shook my head reluctantly,"Yeah. Everything's fine."