twenty four

"Come here," I beckoned over. She slowly came closer and frowned at me. "Why'd you lie to me? You knew I wanted you to be my daddy and you were the whole time. Why didn't you tell me?"

"No, baby," I pulled her into a hug and kissed her forehead,"Daddy loves you, alright? It was just ... difficult."

"I don't understand. How was my other daddy my first daddy and now you..."

I tried to make sense of what she said.

"Mama was just confused, Khaila. It's okay now, cause we all know that I'm you're dad. Not your fake one, your real one. And I can promise you that I won't ever let Khalil hurt your mom or you ever again, okay?" She nodded,"Thanks."

I smiled and kissed her cheek.

"So does this mean you and mommy are gonna be together?" She randomly asked. "What makes you ask that?"

"Well, I just thought that mommies and daddies have to be together. Like it's the law or something," she shrugged. I chuckled,"Not exactly, but I have no idea what the future holds for me and your mama."

She giggled,"I hope y'all work it out and get together." I smiled, did I hope so too?

"What is my other daddy gonna say?"

"Khalil," I corrected her. I wasn't so upset with her, cause I knew how hard it was gonna be to get used to that. "Yeah, him."

"He might be upset. But no matter what he does, just know that its not your fault, Khaila. I promise you that."

"Okay."

"Have you eaten?"

She nodded,"Yes. I ate a big bowl of Lucky Charms," she grinned widely. I smiled,"You like those, hm?"

She nodded again, this time more eagerly,"Duh."

"How'd you feel to meet someone today?" I wanted her to meet my mom and dad, and even Jaxon and Jazymn. Jazzy is gonna be psyched when she finds out she's an aunt at 11 years old.

"Aw, I wanted to hang out with Ms. Nicole and her kids today," she frowned.

"Oh, then I guess that can be arranged," I smiled and tickled her chin. "Ahem."

I looked behind my shoulder and saw Jada, standing in the doorway. "Khaila, can you go watch tv for a minute?"

She sighed and walked out after kissing my forehead and whispering,"Good luck, daddy."

I turned to Jada,"What?"

"I don't want my daughter around that bitc---- around Nicole anymore," she pursed her lips together. "You're being dumb," I scoffed.

"No, I'm serious."

"Why not?" I asked. "Cause first of all, she gave my daughter a DNA test without my permission."

"That was me," I admitted,"So if you're gonna be mad at anyone, be mad at me." She laughed,"Boy, I already am! And don't make her seem all innocent. She was with you on this. She helped you, when she should've stopped you and told her how wrong it was."

"You possibly can't be blaming her for this," I scoffed, almost disgusted. "Don't worry, white boy. I'm blaming you too."

I wanted to smile at the use of my old nickname from her, but now wasn't a good time. "Are you really gonna pick a fight with me the day we find out that I'm Khaila's real father?

"I guess so," she retorted. "Well you can, cause I'm not," I stood,"We'll be at Nicole's."

"No you won't." I quickly faced her,"Are you forgetting that she's my daughter too?"

"Wow, that's how we're gonna do it?"

"Hell yeah, so if Khaila can't be around Nicole then she can't be around Khalil either." She shook her head,"You can't do that."

"How come?" I tested her. "Because she loves him! She thought he was her fucking dad all her life, and now you just bar him out of it?"

"She's over him. And she knows how dangerous and unstable he is now. My daughter is not allowed to be around him, I don't care.

She opened her mouth to speak but I cut her off,"I'm respecting your wishes by not taking her over Nicole's dammit."

"Just know how dumb you sound," she mumbled. "Okay, Jada, now you're pissing me off. You're making the best day of my life horrible for me."

"I don't care, Justin! Damn, you're still highkey irritating."

"Then get out," I mumbled, not meaning it at the time. She quickly did a 360. "What did you just say?"

"I said get out if you feel like that," I repeated, not meaning it of course. I wouldn't kick her out because she's my daughter's mother. Not because she didn't have anywhere to go, because she did. She would run straight to Khalil. But because of Khaila.

"You want me to get out, huh? Huh?" She started shouting, walking up on me. "Jada," I shut the door so Khaila wouldn't hear,"Back the fuck up, for real."

"This what we doing now, Justin? You're gonna kick me out? Well you know what? If I go, Khaila goes."

"I wasn't even gonna kick you out!" I shouted, getting annoyed. "And even if you were, you damn sure wouldn't be taking my daughter with you."

"Your daughter?" She scoffed and started laughing,"You were in rehab all her life. Get the fuck out of here!"

"And now I'm here to treat her like a real father is supposed to treat his daughter, like a princess. And I'm gonna do it with or without your approval. The way I want to do it."

"Bet?"

"Bet. Get out."

Her mouth was wide open. "W-what?"

Yeah, all that tough talk's gone now. "I fucking told you I wasn't gonna kick you out, then you blew it. Leave, go to Khalil or something. Go."

"My daughter is not staying with you, Justin." I laughed,"Like hell our daughter is staying with you. Try me."

"Nigga, you try me." She crossed her arms. "You take my daughter and I tell the authorities that you have my daughter in a house with weed and an abuser living in it."

"Y-you wouldn't dare."

"Get. Out." I said through gritted teeth,"I'm gonna get custody of my daughter, you'll see."