3 YEARS LATER

AVERICK POV

3 YEARS AFTER

Three years. Three whole fucking years without my mate. It was hell. Three years of desperation and longing for the person I love the most. Three years since the first and last time that we made love. All my life, sex have never felt so fucking right and magical. I thought sex was just sex. Pleasurable and nothing more. But he made me believe that sex is not just about the pleasure. It was really all about love.

I just wish he was here to make me feel that again.

But then again, it was me who shooed him away. I rejected him and made him leave. I hurt him. It was all my fault. But I'm hurting, too.

But if you're thinking that I didn't manage being the alpha well, then you couldn't be more wrong. I was doing great. So great the pack loved me even more. I was actually surprised. I thought I would be a broken mess but no. I think I even used Loyce's absence as my inspiration to try harder. But I knew with him by my side, I could've done better. Heck, I could've been the best alpha out there.

I just want him back so bad.

A sigh escape my lips as I found myself thinking about him and what we could've been if he was here again.

Minutes passed with me just daydreaming when a loud knock came from my office door.

"Averick I'm coming in. Sean's with me." A muffled voice of my beta, Craig, said from the other side of the door. I didn't even get to reply when it was pushed open and my two idiot bestfriends came in, both looking stupid as usual.

Sean stayed close with me the whole time and I grew close with Craig as time passes. We are now best of friends. All Mateless.

The two of them sat at the chairs in front of my desk, feeling all at home. Sean even went too far by putting his muddy boots on top of my desk. Is it a good thing that I got used to it?

"What in the bloody hell do you guys want?" I growled right away. I'm really not in the mood to deal with their bullshits right now.

"Good day to you, too. But anyways, we have a big news for you, Avs." Craig said with a smirk. I wish I could punch him in his face. Hell, I fucking can but then again, I'm too tired.

"Dude, you might want to hold into your chair for support. You might fall off!" Sean said with laugh this time. I don't have time for this.

I appreciate them constantly trying to make me smile or laugh but now, it's just not needed. The thing I need the most for now is silence. But of course, these mongrels just have to pester me.

"Cut the crap, Sean! What the fuck is it?" I snapped, intending to scare the living shit out of them. But I think they just grew immuned to my anger as they remained calm in their comfy sits.

"Just promise us not to cry or break down." Craig spoke this time.

I was surprised to see him dead serious. His eyes held a worried and a bit of sympathetic look. I glanced at Sean to see him with the same expression.

The playfulness the room held just now was dead and nowhere to be found. The atmosphere suddenly turned from happy to pure seriousness.

"Just tell me your news first." I insisted, using my alpha voice. But Craig didn't back down.

"Promise us, Averick. You wouldn't cry." He demanded. Damn. He's pushy.

"Fine. I promise."

They look at each other then let out a very long sigh. It made me nervous, to be honest. Sean gave a nod to Craig and my beta look at me.

The silence the room sported by the next minutes was killing me. It holds so much tension, making me sweat cold beads that runs down my neck.

What the fuck?

With one last long sigh, Craig stared deep into my eyes.

And let's just say I nearly stopped breathing at what he said next.

"Loyce is back."