Waiting

Yes, here it is boys and girls and whoever else is reading this! The big one. The angst, the drama filled and Sabine getting a big d'oh! moment. In this oneshot, Ezra gets shot pushing Sabine out of the way and is stuck (shirtless by the way) in a bacta tank, unconscious. Sabine can't do anything, can't eat or sleep, and feels helpless. She won't leave his side, and as she watches over him she gets a realisation that she did not expect....
Oooh! How was THAT for a summary?
So get ready, because this is the one you've all been waiting for. Der her der. Me with the bad puns. Please tell me what you think, and I'm sorry I won't be able to update for a week or two because I'm off to India! Yes, back to the motherland I go. But don't fret! I've been especially good with updates so far, and I will resume when I come back. So hope you enjoy the story and I'll see you guys when I get back.
Here we goooooooo!

Kanan walked over to where Hera was standing, watching over the bacta tank and the scruffy looking mandalorian girl slumped on the cushioned seat beside it.
"I'm worried about her, Kanan," Hera said, the twilek's green eyes filled with concern. Kanan put an arm around her as the observed, but didn't approach.

"She knows he's going to be okay, but she hasn't moved from that seat in three days." Hera confided, her lekku curling and uncurling in anxiousness. The Jedi spoke in a low voice, "I know. Even though it could have happened to any of us, she blames herself for it."
Hera's voice was pained.
"She hasn't eaten, she hasn't slept - I know I'm not her mom, but we have to help her!"

They carried on watching as Sabine went up to the tank and let out a low moan. Because there, submerged in the bacta, was Ezra.
Clothed only from the bottom, the scar in his side was deep, but rapidly healing. His bare chest was brown and lean, and little scratches showed on his abdomen. He had had a tough life on the streets, and had been through a lot, but Sabine remembered the events of three days ago as if it was a tape playing over and over and over again in her mind. And she blamed only herself.

It was an ordinary mission. Get some valuable intel for their new base, nothing bad about that. Nothing to signify any more danger than usual. But the Empire was prepared. And Sabine knew she should have seen it coming. But she didn't. Only Ezra, force-sensitive Ezra, could sense the blaster bolt coming towards her, shooting at her from the back. He acted before he thought. He pushed her away, landing on top of her when the pain seared into his side. His eyes rolled to the back of his head and he screamed an inhuman scream. Sabine yelled, putting on her back with almost superhuman strength and telling him to hold on, and how sorry she was. She felt as though she were the one who was shot.
The last thing he mumbled to her before blacking out was, "Guess you owe me twice," and she knew with a plummeting feeling that he was referring to the Inquisitors. And as she watched the med-bots take him away when they were safely inside the fleet, her heart felt like it would rip open.

Seeing him like this now, aqua breather in his mouth and unconscious, seemingly a shell of his former self - it nearly broke her. She hadn't seen his smile in three whole days. She hadn't heard him make a bad joke, hadn't witnessed him trip over himself. She hadn't bickered with him or teased him. She'd give anything to have him back.
And she thought it was all her fault. If only she'd been faster, looked behind her, made sure he was safe...
This was a painful reminder that it wasn't some movie or game. This was real - and it left people hurt. The last thing she would ever want, she realised, was to see him hurt like this.
And the worst part? The waiting.
Waiting for him to wake up, for him to be okay. She couldn't do anything to take her mind off of it. She couldn't even bring herself to paint, it was that bad. When she tried, all she could see was his smile, his laugh - and it was too much to bear. He was the only thing on her mind, and it hurt.

It was then she realised, like a bolt of lighting had gone through her, how much she truly cared for him. They'd been through so much in so little time. He was still the cocky street kid that flirted and smiled at her when she met him - but he was more sure of himself, happier and fuller.
He was her family now, as much as any of them. And she could finally admit it to herself - he was more than an ally or a friend. He was family, her best friend and partner in crime.
And, dare she say it, she loved him.
She didn't know what 'romance' felt like, but the way she felt about Ezra? The butterflies swooping in her stomach whenever he did something cute or funny, the way he looked at her when she laughed, the fact that he was on her mind more than she liked to say, and most secret of all - her dreams featured him, sometimes. Could that be it? She's never told anybody about that, ever, and that was why she couldn't sleep. For fear that she'd wake up and he'd still be in a coma, and the only time she'd see him again would be in her dreams. There was much more - little things every day that didn't count for much when you looked at them one a t a time, but for Sabine they all counted up, and when she looked back at them she woke up to how much he liked her, and how much she actually liked him. Maybe it was more than that.
There were a lot of maybes. And Sabine knew that it was all so confusing - but it was starting to clear up. It only took Ezra not being with her to see it. How blind she'd been.