Chapter 22: Emily

I could have hidden in the trees for a lot longer if it wasn't for my stupid white feathers that were falling more frequently now. It meant that the darkness was consuming me, it meant that I was falling for this world and for Brannon with a lot more ease than I had anticipated.

Brannon found me hidden in the canopy of the trees in the centre of the island. It was cooler here, a little more moist and so idyllic that I thought I could never tire of this place. There weren't many animals here but the ones that I'd seen were tame and harmless. It made sense when I thought about it, the devil had made this place for his family as a holiday destination, why would he put deadly creatures in the place?

We were sitting on one of the branches now, eating fruit with the monkeys. I had one sitting on my shoulder, the little sod kept stealing my fruit. As I glanced around at our little gathering I thought that this place was paradise. There was nothing major that I wanted to change about it, maybe a few little alterations to make it more usable but that was it.

"Do you like it here?"

I nodded, wiping the corner of my mouth. The monkey had allowed me one piece while he was busy eating the last piece he'd pilfered from me.

"It's beautiful, your father has a great talent for creating worlds."

Brannon nodded with a faint smile, picking apart a banana for the waiting monkeys. They scoffed them down as soon as they were given them, happily sitting on the branch in front of Brannon, on his back and hanging from the one above us.

"The animal keeper has to come down here to ensure that the animals are okay, make sure there's enough food for them."

"How come you have an animal keeper?"

"Because we have animals, duh."

He offered a smirk and I huffed.

"That's not what I meant. Can't these guys survive on their own?"

"Most of the time they're okay. He comes in once a week and makes sure they're not hurt, that they're not decimating one kind of food. It's a job, everyone in hell has to have a job unless you're a kid and then you're in school."

"So what will I be doing?"

Brannon shrugged as he passed the last piece of banana out.

"You know what I'd think would be a great job for you and me when we're out of school?"

He lifted his gaze with curiosity.

"Looking after this place. We could clean up the jungle and put boardwalks through it, look after the animals and grow lots of different fruits for them."

"That would be great." He said quietly.

"Don't you like the idea?"

Brannon frowned with a light laugh.

"Seriously? I'd love to spend my days here. I learned to fly here. Every chance my mother got, she'd bring me and my siblings here because she knew that it was the safest place in hell for us. No dragons flying around the place."

"Pardon?" I said rather shocked. "Earth doesn't have dragons."

He smiled, chuckling just a little.

"Yeah but hell has two and they are grumpy jerks. But that doesn't matter, this place, I love it."

As he slid over the branch the monkeys jumped away, climbing up the trees and scattering now that mealtime was over.

"And if I could live here forever, then I'd be happy."

"Me too."

It felt a little awkward but I knew we had to go there, we had to discuss what would happen eventually anyway.

"I'd like for the first time to be here."

"What on the branch or in this layer?"

I chuckled, shaking my head.

"This layer, maybe the jungle."

"The monkeys will stare at us."

As I looked around the trees to our audience, I realised he was right.

"Okay so maybe not in the jungle then. So uh there's also something else. Kind of a little sad for an infra angel considering I've been walking this life like this for eighteen years but I've never, you know." I cleared my throat, feeling thoroughly embarrassed. "Ever."

The banana skin was keeping my gaze down as I tried not to erupt into flames from my searing cheeks.

"I've dated a few angels, kissed a few of them. Tried to find something in different species but it's never felt right until now. But yeah, the angel really is an angel."

I huffed with laughter, pained and mocking as I tried to make it seem as if I didn't care. But I did, I really did. I didn't wake as a child and had to grow up, finding my sexuality in my teen years. No, I was created into this angel, made to be this creature that was ready to have any form of relations that I desired. Even though I was told that infra's were made to work, they built me with the body that could create life, the mind that could yearn for another.

Yet no one looked with interest, not serious interest.

Brannon leaned closer, taking a soft kiss. His hands went to the branch and moved closer, kissing me again.

"You want to know something?" He whispered over my lips.

"Sure."

"You're not the only one."

"Really?" I asked softly.

He nodded and kissed me again. I didn't think it was possible but I knew it was the truth. It gave me a sense of ease to the situation, that I wasn't alone in my uneducated fumbles. Brannon pulled me closer, lifting my legs over his as our kiss deepened. I wrapped my arms around his neck, feeling the warmth of our bodies as they pressed together.

We were wading through a sea of darkness, uncertain of what was right or wrong. Figuring it out wouldn't be that difficult, our bodies would guide us. If this kiss was anything to go by, I'd say that our eventual love will be more than okay, it will be amazing.