Chapter 57: Brannon

Perched on the footboard of her bed, I watched Chloe sleep for a long time before she woke. She was still in the corset top and jeans, her jacket and shoes were tossed to the floor beside the bed.

No one knew I was here and I was determined to keep it that way. Why did I come back to her? Why couldn't I leave her alone? There was no answer and so I waited until she sat up on the bed, frowning while trying to fight her way through the hangover and confusion.

"Bran? What are you doing here?"

I shrugged, sliding onto the mattress. Chloe's eyes darted to the closed door.

"Does anyone know you're here?"

Shaking my head, I watched as she bit her bottom lip. Her eyes were wide and full, still looking a little sleepy.

"Is there a shield over my room?"

I nodded, amused when a slight smirk twitched into the corner of her sweet lips. It was barely there but it was enough.

"Last night was fun." She said softly. "And it pains me to think that no matter what I do or say, you're always going to pick her but if you want to hang out with me, you can. I can't say as I like the idea, in fact I hate it. You're pulling me apart and for some reason, I stupidly want more."

She crawled over the bed, settling in the gap between my legs. Her hands toyed with the shirt, the buttons still opened from where she'd kissed down my chest last night. I hadn't changed, I hadn't been home. Just wandering the earth, trying to figure out the mess in my mind.

"Like I said, we can hang out together. We don't have to get drunk if you don't want to. Maybe just friends, we could play games or something."

Her eyes lifted at the something, a dark smile crossed her lips. I knew what the something was, crazily I was prepared to give it to her.

"I harvested one hundred and fifteen souls last night."

Chloe's mouth parted slightly, shocked at the statement.

"You don't harvest Bran, that's the reaper crows job."

"Yeah but I was pissed. I saw Emily with an angel, I knew they were going home to screw each other."

She said nothing but I knew she wanted to say a whole lot. Maybe something like, why was I bothering with her if she was so ready to let me go? I'd been asking myself that question too.

"I told her that I'd continue to harvest random souls until I got what I wanted, which I said was her."

"Do you want her back Bran?"

I shrugged, confusion reigned supreme. Feeling hurt that she didn't want to call me, that even though she claimed that she wanted me she had still given up. She could have called me, telling me of what she had learned and asked if my father knew of something, if we had any ideas. Instead she went about beginning a new life, with another man.

"She gave up." I whispered, feeling the hurt.

Chloe sighed, wrapping her arms around my neck. Her hug was innocent, even if she was leaning against me.

"Even in the darkest hour, there is always light. Somewhere you will find your happiness Bran, maybe it will be with Emily, maybe it won't be. One day at a time."

Sitting back slightly, she smiled sweetly at me. When I looked at Chloe, I saw an innocence that was breathtaking. Better that that was the darkness that came with being a vampire, she was evil wrapped in a pretty pout and fluttering eyelashes.

"Did you want to hang out? We could go somewhere dark and be bad again."

I grinned, she had the darkness that Emily could never attain and it was just another thing that went against her. She was an angel; they were made to be good. To expect her to be bad was foolish, it was never going to happen. I told Emily that I'd harvested souls and she freaked out. All Chloe cared about was the fact that I was doing the job of the reaper crows.

With one finger I tugged on her corset, dipped in between that stunning cleavage. As she willingly moved forward, the first few eyelets popped open. Her lips danced over mine as we stared at each other, playfully teasing each other with an almost kiss. My finger continued down the line, parting the sides of her corset top.

"It's always dark somewhere." She whispered.

The warmth of her breath skated over my skin, her lips nipped a kiss at the corner of my mouth.

"I could feed before you harvest."

Undoing the last eyelet, I pulled the corset top away and gripped her firmly. Chloe moaned, flexing her groin against mine.

"We could spill so much blood."

Chloe's voice was breathy, I looked up and saw the ecstasy rising.

"Do you wish to waste your food so easily?"

She looked down at me just as I ran my tongue over her nipple. Her eyebrows pressed together as her heart raced a fast pace. Taking her hips, I pushed her harder against me. The ecstasy peaked and Chloe moaned loudly, her head tipping back as she enjoyed the orgasm. All of it with us wearing jeans. Sex with Chloe was likely to be magnificent. Did I want to venture down that path knowing that the chances of getting her pregnant were extremely high? I'd lucked out with Emily but that didn't mean I would with Chloe.

Sitting back at the far end of the bed, Chloe leaned back against the many pillows. She looked like a goddess that was high on euphoria. Bare chested and ready for more, did I dare take her up on her offer?

Twitching her indexing finger at me, she silently beckoned me. Crawling over the bed to her, I laid down between her legs and looked deep into her eyes.

"We will make them pay for your suffering, together."