Chapter 30: Emily

I was in the bedroom when I heard a smash, the sound of wood breaking filled the idyllic quiet. Warily I slipped out of the room and tiptoed around the corridor to the lounge area.

An angel stood with the remnants of a chair in his hand, the smile was shining brightly as he looked at the bits of wood drop to the floor. Lengths of blonde hair fell into his eyes, deep purple eyes that looked up to me when he realised I was watching him.

"Emily."

"Arcaedia."

The brute dropped the chair, his eyes watching as it hit the floor with a clatter. He wiped his hands clean with an unnecessary and rather over the top movement.

"Why did you do that?"

"To create an illusion. You've been requested to attend a meeting for a debriefing, your mission is now complete."

"You do see these things behind me, don't you?"

"Oh yes." He said with a smug smile. "Here, let me help you with that."

Not a single limb or muscle twitched or moved but in an instant my wings were white again.

"Much better."

Arcaedia stepped around the table, producing a large linen bag.

"What's that for?"

"Deception."

With another smile from the overgrown lump, I found myself wrapped in bonds, my body couldn't move.

"I know that you're more than willing to come along Emily but as I said, it's all about deception. We're here to do a big show my pretty little infra."

He moved closer, pulling the bag open.

"Did you know that the vampire and the human are on their way back? That they'll see exactly what I want them to see."

"Don't hurt them."

"I don't make a habit of harming innocents Emily, I thought you knew that."

"I hardly know you Arcaedia."

He shrugged with a slight smile.

"You've done well, whispers are that they are impressed with your work. Everything that has happened, has gone according to how they wanted it to. So now it's time to go home, I'll try to be gentle but understand that it may just get a little rough passing through the gate."

Stopping in front of me, sniffing as he screwed up his nose.

"We're going to have to talk about that one Emily, I know you've been a bad girl but I understand. All part of the job, right?"

He smiled as he dumped the bag to the floor, wiggling his fingers to make it slither open and slide under my feet.

"But I am hurt, sex is not a requirement of any of our jobs. I'd never do that to you but like I said, I understand. Your departure will break him and that's exactly what they want. So kudos to you."

The bag was snaking its way higher, Arcaedia put his hand on my shoulder to push me into the bag.

"You were made for me Emily, I know that no one had bothered to tell you that and I am sure that you would have kept your legs shut had you known so I am going to forgive you for this mistake. At least there is no bastard child and don't worry for your things, they will be taken to our home."

As my body huddled into a ball in the bag, Arcaedia smiled supremely.

"Can you feel that Emily? Already they are feeling the peculiarity that is your presence in this world. The scales are beginning to tip in our favour, the son no longer has confidence in his father's ability to protect everything that he cares for."

He pulled the drawstring tight, with a quick lift I was thumped against his thigh. The wind whooshed as his wings flapped, taking us from hell.

"Well look at that, the vampire emerges from the jungle with his play toy. Don't you just love it when a plan comes together Emily?"

I wished I could answer him but he'd stopped me from talking, ensuring that his plan went according to his exact requirements. Arcaedia was an angel that liked perfection and order.

The warmth of hell was gone and I wished that I could have seen Brannon once more before I was dragged away. To say how sorry I was, to beg for his help. But then there was the risk of endangering him which I did not want to do. I wanted him safe, I wanted his family safe.

Maybe this was for the best. Maybe I needed to go away and leave him be. An angel and the son of the devil were not made to be in love. We could not have something, it was obvious now that I was not clouded by the pretty surroundings and unrealistic thoughts of a future.

"Once you're done with the debriefing you can join me on my assignment, the approval has been granted. You'll love it, blissfully cold, no horrid heat."

Inwardly I sighed, there was no ability to struggle or speak. All that I had was my thoughts. In my mind I was mourning the loss of Brannon and our love. He would never be able to find me, I was being hidden in some remote part of the world. What was happening now was intentional, they knew that I'd become involved and they were putting a stop to it which benefited their scheme.

It was then that I realised that I'd been set up, told to become friends with him yet they knew that it would develop into something more. I was an idiot and I'd fallen right into their trap, dragging Brannon with me. Worse yet, I'd managed to fool the devil as well. That had me worried, what if he was annoyed at me and wanted me dead because of it?

A sickening feeling filled me, now I was worried that I'd managed to piss the devil off and I did not know what lengths he would go to, to make me suffer for tricking him. Maybe I was better off in this new place, hiding from the devil and his temper.

But that was foolish, no one could hide from the devil when he wanted them dead. I was dead, there would be no pleading or bargaining, he would drag me into hell and this time it wouldn't be because I loved his son. It would be to throw me into the pit forever.