Chapter 60: Emily

Michael and I appeared in a lounge room, a stately looking room that was tastefully decorated with modern and stylish pieces of furniture. We were alone, except for one little being who was awake in his crib.

"Well hello young man."

The newborn child looked up at Michael, his mouth opening as his hand lifted to suck on it.

"He's cute, who does he belong to?"

"Me."

I turned to the soft sound of a woman, the raven haired beauty crossed the room with a lot of concern.

"You turn up unannounced again Michael, to what do we owe the pleasure of this visit?"

Michael smiled stiffly at the woman, her bright blue eyes were pinned to us or rather me.

"We are looking for your son Sarah."

Good grief, it's Brannon's mother. She picked up the child and backed away.

"I don't know where he is. Anton has sent demons to search for him. Maybe you should ask the one who ripped his heart out."

"This is not the time to lay blame Sarah, it was a union that was doomed from the beginning. We have a more pressing issue, did Anton tell you why he was sending demons out to search for your son?"

Warily she shook her head, looking between Michael and I.

"He's been harvesting souls. Last night one hundred and fifteen were removed from one location and sent straight to heaven. We are lucky that the humans have a wild imagination and with the mess he made to the ground, they have assumed it was a storm."

"What mess?"

"He unleashed a storm from hell upon the poor city Sarah, the roads were torn up and the buildings decimated."

Michael paused mid-sentence, frowning as he removed a phone from his pocket.

"Excuse me." He murmured.

Feeling the stare, I glanced at Sarah. Her anger towards me radiated and I couldn't blame her. I'd hurt her son and there was nothing I could do to take it back.

"Oh dear." Michael said in a soft, pained voice.

His eyes lifted just as the devil walked into the room. Expecting the worst, I braced for the devil to bring us down. Instead, he walked over with determination.

"Did you feel it?" Michael asked the devil.

"I did. How many?"

"Two thousand, three hundred and five."

"What's that?" Sarah asked with a frown.

The devil sighed, taking the baby from her arms and making her sit on the nearest lounge.

"Souls, my love. Brannon is out there somewhere in this world, reaping souls whenever he pleases. There is no reason, no method to his work."

Tears slipped from her eyes as she looked at the devil, shaking her head.

"You're wrong." She whispered.

"I'm sorry Sarah but it is not a lie."

"Have you found him?" Michael asked, his forceful voice breaking through the sadness.

"I have sent demons to search for him, they cannot track what does not want to be found."

This was madness, Brannon would keep going until he got what he wanted. But how would he know that heaven was prepared to accept the deal?

"He wants heaven to accept our union." I blurted out. "He wants me and he said that he will do this until his demand is met."

Brannon's parents looked at me, his mother shocked and his father plain faced. The devil hid his emotions well. I turned to Michael, the distress showing on his face.

"He didn't say how to contact him but I figure he will know."

"We can't break the purity spell Emily, you need to become pure for it to leave your body, that is how it works."

"So how do I do that?"

He looked at me with a confused frown, deep purple eyes searching over me.

"Look, in order to lure Brannon out he has to think that heaven is willing to meet his demands. For that to happen I have to be able to..."

I frowned as I looked at the room and the people in it.

"How am in hell?"

"It is temporary." The devil advised. "You are causing a great strain on it and your time here is coming to an end. Whatever plan you are devising, it has to be done with haste."

The building shook and I thought that my time was more than just over with, I believed I was breaking hell.

"Is that me?"

"No." Michael said firmly. "That's Brannon, causing our worlds grief."

He gripped the back of the nearest chair, waiting for the tremor to pass.

"It will be happening in heaven, though for them it will be far worse. He wants to bring it down, to make the angels suffer for what he has suffered."

The light over us was swinging, picture frames dropped from the mantle. From the depths of the castle, I could hear the cries of a little girl. The door slapped open and Delaney ran to her parents.

"Mom, dad?"

I looked up at the door, Cara was gripping the frame.

"Stay there Cara, wait for the tremor to pass."

Lifting Sarah to her feet, they took the children to doorway. Turning back to Michael I looked at him, silently imploring him to do something. Sadly, he shook his head, there was nothing that he could do. Not until we found Brannon.

Dust from the ceiling fell as the building continued to shake, as I crossed the room to the devil, I could hear Michaels phone going off again. I didn't want to think that Brannon was taking more lives, but it was likely.

The devil looked at me, I didn't think it was possible but for a brief moment I saw fear.

"We have to do something." I said loudly.

With the building shaking and groaning, the cries of the children and the roar of what sounded like a dragon, I could hardly hear myself speak.

The devil nodded at me, floating through the floorboards was a rather large demon with his hands on the shoulders of what looked like two vampires. Two vampires that looked remarkably like Luca and his sisters.

"My lord." The behemoth of a man yelled.

"Stay with Sarah and the children, keep Rowan with you."

"Yes my lord."

"Chloe is missing." The male vampire said.

The devil nodded as he gripped his shoulder.

"Nicolas, we have much to do."

His head turned to me, offering a dark gaze that said so much. I was definitely not liked.

"Come along Emily. You made this mess and now it is time for you to fix it."

As he disappeared, I turned and saw Michael behind me, fading into the air. I followed after them, looking at the destruction that Brannon was causing in the underworld. The land had cracked open and the damned were trying to claw their way free. Demons were doing their best to keep them in the pit but when more cracks opened, they knew they were fighting a battle that they were losing fast.

The damned could not be free, they would break out of hell and make it back to earth. If Brannon's intentions were to free them then it could be for a darker purpose. One that sent a shiver up my spine. Maybe Brannon wanted the damned free so that he could use them to storm heaven.