Chapter 88: Emily

Demons moved around me with precision, placing the pieces of furniture in the various rooms without even a frown of complaint. The once bare rooms were fast becoming our home and I found myself in a good mood as a result of it. Our lounge suite was in place, a large grey fabric semi-circle that I had worried would be too much for the room. It wasn't and it looked amazing.

Brannon and I didn't know what the future held in terms of children and how fast they would come to us but we still planned as if it would happen fast. The dining table was large and I couldn't wait to have it filled with our family.

Luca and Kelsey had turned up with the first load of furniture which I was okay about. I didn't mind them turning up unannounced this time, I guess I was becoming more relaxed in this environment. Being a permanent resident of hell was taking a bit of adjustment on my part.

Brannon and Luca had wandered off into the jungle, Bran had said something about hearing a screeching during the night and he wanted to investigate it. It was probably for the best, he was getting underfoot and being annoying.

Kelsey shimmied up onto one of the stools at the breakfast bar, her hands wrapped around the coffee mug. She offered a weak smile with her gratitude.

"Still hung up about her?"

I nodded reluctantly.

"It's understandable, I know I would be pretty upset. Everyone's got issues, you've just got to work through them and reach some kind of agreement."

She sipped her coffee, I leaned on the counter edge with my coffee in hand. I could see the strain in her eyes, the woman that was pretty much always happy looked like she was trying to hide that she was distressed.

"Luc wants me to become a vamp."

"Oh." I said dryly. "Don't you want to?"

"I do but then it means that I'd be going against what my family wants. My parents said that we would always be feeders so that we could ensure that the vampire race didn't take human lives. We give ourselves to them so that they don't kill. If I become one of them then there's one less feeder in this world and worse yet, another vamp to feed."

"Do you give to any other vampires?"

She shook her head.

"And would Luca go elsewhere once you become a vamp or would he continue to feed on you and supplement with bags?"

"Well me, I guess."

"So what's the issue?"

Kelsey looked at me, a little confused.

"Luca's not going to change his feeding habits once the change happens and you don't give to anyone else. Nothing is going to change except for one little detail."

Her eyes brightened as she realised the truth, with a large smile Kelsey looked at me and chuckled.

"Oh Em, you are amazing."

"Thanks. So does that mean that you guys are forever now that he's talking like that?"

The smile dropped and she carefully placed the mug onto the counter, her gaze lifted to mine with her shock resonating loudly.

"I hadn't thought about it like that. Do you think that he might? Has Bran said something?"

"Nuh."

Kelsey was shocked but underneath it was the sly smile of happiness. They were cute together, if it happened then it wouldn't be a bad thing.

Hearing Delaney squeal, I moved out of the kitchen and saw Sarah walking along the boardwalk with the baby in her arms. Delaney was skipping ahead; her long pink dress was bouncing around her. And that poor doll, it looked like it was ready for retirement. Stopping to look at the water, Delaney climbed up onto the lower rail and gazed over the top rail. After seeing the fish swimming around below her, Delaney jumped back down again.

Cara lagged behind her mother, her attention was to the phone, as always. I was surprised she was here, I thought that she wasn't interested in anything about me.

"Good morning," Sarah offered with a smile. "How's the new house?"

"Great."

Emilio was put into my arms even though I wasn't ready. Sarah was determined to ensure I was ready for baby time. It was a good thing; I'd never been around them before this little guy. My entire eighteen years of existence was spent doing assignments and not socialising with people who had kids.

After a quick tour of the house, I made the mistake of offering to make a coffee for Sarah. She smiled and accepted, pulling herself up onto the stool next to Kelsey. There was no taking the baby back and to make matters worse, Delaney had decided that I was now her best friend. Her arms wrapped around my waist and she refused to let go.

For some unknown reason, Cara decided that she was going to raid the cupboards in search of candy.

"Have you got Reese's?"

"Uh no, sorry."

She huffed, her body sagged as she looked at me.

"Well, what have you got?"

"Not much, the candy is on the top shelf."

Cara did her half assed attempt at looking into the cupboard.

"I can't see any candy." Cara complained.

"It's in there Cara, I put it in there yesterday."

Unless someone ate it at the party last night. That was entirely possible. So I decided to check to make sure that there really was candy in the cupboard. With the newborn in one arm and the eight-year-old clinging to me, I found the container of candy and gave it to Cara.

Delaney was watching as her older sister sifted through the contents. Both of them managed to pick out the only candy that I wanted and had bought to eat when I craved something sweet. I said nothing and continued to make the coffees.

Cara was taking the best candy and barely sharing any with her younger sister who had only left my side for a brief moment. Her arms were wrapped tight around my waist again and then they started bickering about how the candy had been portioned out. With their fighting getting louder, Emilio decided that he'd throw his opinion into the mix and he began crying. His face screwed up tight, turning an angry pale red as he howled in protest.

All the while his mother and Kelsey sat at the breakfast bar, amused at the scene in front of them. This was called being thrown in the deep end, demon style.