Chapter 77: Brannon

Emily was still unconscious, laying on a cold stone alter. It was the coldest part of the hell and yet she was sweating. As I wrung the water out of the cloth, I saw Delaney skipping down the aisle. The rag doll in her hand was being brutally swung with each skip Delaney took.

"Bran, what are you doing?"

"Keeping Emily cool."

She climbed up the steps and gripped the edge of the stone, looking at Emily with a lot of curiosity.

"She was here with Michael, did you hurt her?"

"No, she has become a fallen angel to be with me."

Delaney giggled as she looked at me.

"Is she your girlfriend?"

I smiled and nodded.

"Bran's got a girlfriend." She sung loudly.

"Everyone already knows."

"I didn't." She said with a pout.

"That's because you're a parrot."

Delaney turned and looked over her shoulder.

"I am not. I don't have a tail or feathers."

"Not what I meant." I said under my breath. "Why are you here Delaney?"

She shrugged as she tucked the doll into Emily's arm.

"I heard mommy and daddy talking about the island. Are you going to live there?"

"Emily and I are going to build a home on the other side of the island."

"Don't you like living with us in the castle?"

I looked up and saw the sad eyes. Her bottom lip was wobbling but I knew it was real unlike the last time I'd seen it.

"I'm not going that far Delaney, it's not as if you can't visit."

"Daddy said I had to wait for permission because you might not want me around."

Yeah, he was right about that one. I didn't need my baby sister turning up when I was under the sheets with Emily. Or worse, above the sheets. I sighed heavily and put the rag into the bowl of water, rounding the alter. Delaney's hands went up expectantly, I picked her up and hugged her.

"There will be times where it won't be appropriate for you to visit but I'm sure if you ask mom or dad to bring you to the layer then it will be fine."

Because they will knock on the door rather than Delaney's efforts of walking through walls. She was lazy and I didn't want to be in trouble because she walked in on something she shouldn't have.

Delaney nodded before resting her head on my shoulder, her fingers twirled the ends of my hair.

"How come you don't go to school anymore?"

"There's been a lot of issues but I'm sure I'll be made to go back soon enough."

"I saw Emily at the school, angels don't go to our school."

No, they didn't but this one did and for that I would be grateful for an eternity.

"She was spying on me but changed her mind."

I set Delaney back to the ground and returned to wiping the sweat from Emily's forehead. She was burning a mighty fever and all that I could do was try to keep her cool while her body fought it. Delaney stepped up to the alter, looking at Emily with a lot of curiosity. Wary fingers reached out and touched the dark pink hair, Delaney grinned broadly as she looked up at me.