Waiting For Nothing

“Charity Begins at home, and Justice begins next door.” -Charles Dickens

RECAP- on Liam’s POV

There was hesitation in her voice. The whole time she was telling me about her family it was like she was being really careful. Like she was hiding something, but at the same time I knew she was telling the truth. Or as much of the truth that she wants to tell me. And I guess I can respect that, especially if we’re both not as excited to be here.

“Where are your grandparents now?” I asked.

“They died when I was in middle school.” She sighed, but there was a hint of smile on her tone making me smile as well.

“Hm… interesting.” I thougt out loud, but there was a missing character on her story. Where was her dad? “But you-“

“I stand corrected.” She cut me off, “I guess, I always will need my brother, especially if it’s to deal with douche bags.”

“Douche bags huh?” that made me stifle a laugh, “Will I be categorized under that?”

“Depends,” she sighed, “have you left a girl in the altar?”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

That was a question I never thought I would be asked in a lifetime. I mean, I may have been tagged as a man whore for a couple of times, but I never really broke anyone’s heart, well, not that I know of. And I think its more of the other way around.

The memory shot me back to reality and I cleared my head.

“I think that isn’t the topic right now.” Amanda says, “So, Liam, care to share your family back ground?”

“Oh, well…” I sat up and thought of what to say. Memories of my family came flooding through my mind making me grin. “I guess I’m just from the typical American family. One that enjoys bar-b-cues during the football season, attendance is a must during Christmas and thanksgiving, typical…”

“Perfect family for the perfect stranger.” I heard her say.

“Oh, are we talking about my real family?” I asked, “I thought it was my make believe family.”

“And I wish you were make believe and some fairy god mother come and sand dust you away.” She says, sounding bored.

“What is it with you and fairies and unicorns?” I asked, incredulous.

“Well, I am a girl, the last time I checked.” She snapped, “I’m not actually a dungeons and dragons type.”

“Could have fooled me.” I snapped back.

Getting a set of oohs and a “you tell her baby” from the audience.

“Can you go on with your perfect American Family tales that would be perfect for the return of the Wonder Years Series.”

I snorted thinking about it, “Perfect? Far from it.” To my surprise she didn’t have a retort for this one. I took that as a sign to continue. “Well, I guess I should start from the fact that I was adopted.”

“Adopted?” she asked.

“Let me put it in a way you would understand, princess…

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*Flashback~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*