Time Will Reveal

Justice is the set and constant purpose which gives every man his due. -Marcus Tullius Cicero 

Liam’s POV

“What about you? Don’t you have anywhere to be after?”

“Well, I want to catch my friends at the bar.” He says, “They’re probably wasted by now.”

“And what’s in it for you?” I asked.

“Nothing, I just get to be with them.”

“And?”

“That’s it.”

“That’s where I’ll help you.” I said. “I need to make you love yourself.”

“What?”

“Love yourself.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Love myself?” I repeated.

“Yeah,” she said as if it was the most obvious thing to do for me, “I mean…” I caught her sit up and start to count with her fingers. “When you were a kid you closed an eye cause you saw how happy your mom was with the new man she was with. You kept your mouth shut when she left. You took care of your dad, you worked for him and for yourself. When you were taken in by your new family, you made effort to be friends with your sister cause your adopted father showed you kindness. He loved you and you wanted to repay for that. You closed an eye for your ex girl friend. You stood up for that friend of yours cause she asked you to, not even knowing what was happening or why you should, you just did. You did all that, not knowing if you’ll be gaining anything in return.”

“And is that so bad?” I asked.

“No, I like it.” she said, “Shows how good you are, how selfless you are. But, are you happy? Does closing an eye and getting hurt in the end feel good?”

I frowned and looked at my feet.

“I’m taking that as a no.”

“Silence means yes.” I tried to joke.

“Not always.” She said. “Stranger-“

“I’m not trying to be the good guy.” I said. “I don’t want to be known as the boy who disrespected his adopted father, gave up on his parents, didn’t care for his siblings. I can’t.”

“But did you ever thought of the consequences?” she asked. “The consequences on you?”

I didn’t answer.

“Have you told your mom how hurt you were when you gave up on them to look for greener pastures?” she asked. “Or have you told your sister that you wanted to be close to her not only because you needed to but because you actually wanted to? You didn’t even tell your ex how hurt you were.”

“There is no question to it, you know how to love, pure and true. But you seem to be forgetting yourself.”

“I love myself…”

“How?”

“I’m trying to make myself happy now don’t I?”

“How? By pleasing yourself with different girl every night?”

“No…” I said, “I’m trying to find that person who would love me for me, aren’t I?”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*