If I Ain't Got You *part1*

It is certain, in any case, that ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy Justice can have. -James A. Baldwin

 ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Liam's POV

“So there, that was it.” I said as I sit back and sighed.

“Liar!”

“We know there’s more there Liam, c’mon…” a girl says.

“I don’t know what you guys are saying.” I grinned and shook my head.

“We have sources.” Another guy says, “Very reliable sources.”

“Well, ask your sources then.”

“Lies!”

“You just asked what happened at the game, no one said I’ll be talking about what happened after.”

“It’s the whole point Liam.” Kevin says. “C’mon…”

“No.” I said as I stood up and walk toward the door.

“What? Why not?” one girl whined.

“Cause…” I grabbed my coat and slipped it on before I turned to face all of them, “It’s not my story to tell.”

“What do you mean it’s not your story to tell?” a guy asks as I reach for my bag and pull out my car keys from my pocket. “There’s always a happy ending for this mushy stuff…”

I stopped and turned to him, “You think so?”

“I know so.” he says with a roll of his eyes.

I nodded and opened my door.

“And where are you going?” Kevin asked.

“Home.” I smiled, “To get a happy ending.”

I ran out of there like the building was on fire. Somehow, talking about that night just made me realize that I wasn’t doing enough. That even if I do live in the moment, I was being too careful. Just as Justice said, I need to make myself happy, and it can no longer wait.

I can hear Kevin running after me as I close my car door and start the car.

I won’t be making the same mistake this time, I’m not letting go of this opportunity. I needed to be where I knew I would be happy before I lose this confidence- and adrenaline- and prolong it any longer.

I had been busy for a while and had been getting my priorities mixed up.

I’ve been told that I didn’t need to prove anything to her or her family. That she loves me, and her family would love me just knowing I make her happy.

But it wasn’t enough. I’m going to make things right- today.

I finally arrived at our building and I was getting more nervous, but the rush of my adrenaline keeps me going.

My head was spinning and I couldn’t wait to get home.

I know she would be home, I know she would be surprise… I’m pretty sure she’d be relieved and teasing me the whole time again with me being all busy and not giving her the time of the day, which was a lie. I made sure that when I was at home, all my attention is on her.

I jumped out of the car and half jogged to the elevator as I locked my car.

I smiled at myself as I count along every floor that the door passed by.