Taking Chances

“Judging from the main portions of the history of the world, so far, Justice is always in jeopardy.” - Walt Whitman

“Yeah, definitely two friends.” he said with a hint of amusement.

“Hm, I guess that put us in a tie.” I said

“Huh?”

“Well, you have two friends and so do I.” I pointed out, “It's a tie.”

“Hm, interesting.” he says.

Then we both fell into, surprisingly, a comfortable silence. Well until a certain host had to ruined that silence.

 “Well, I think we've gone further than we planned.” Amanda says.

 I hear Stranger chuckle, “I guess...”

 “So... what now?” I ask, still wanting to get this over with already.

 “Well, you-”

 “What were you in high school?” he cut in to whatever Amanda was to say.

 “What do you mean what was I?”

 “I mean, I know you are popular-”

 “Not by choice.” I added.

 “Not by choice,” he repeats with a chuckle, “so what were you suppose to be?”

 “Hm...” I wondered, “Now that I think about it, I'm not really sure.”

 “Missing your identity, are we now, dudette?” he teased.

 I laughed, “I guess I am.” I thought of it again, “I just thought, well, more of accepted the fact that I was born to be-”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

-Popular.

I spit the word as if it’s the most disgusting thing discovered after the fruit durian.

And much like the said fruit, as much as it is delicious and has perks, what I had to pay for or even to do in exchange to be part of the crowd was something I'd never ever be willing to give into, ever!

Like I said, my brother was popular and he'd be damned if I was not to be with him.

Don't get me wrong, I tried to stay away. Henry was a witness to that.

With how many times I defied my mother and brother... I did all the unthinkable.

High school was all fail, obviously, with Xandr already running the house and the business while he was in college- well, that didn't do me any good. Especially after I secretly transferred school on my senior year, which even then as a dork, even maybe an outcast, no thanks to Emily, I wasn’t excempted from the popular crowd.

“Hey, new girl wait up!” I rolled my eyes hearing what seem to be my new name since I moved to my new school.

“Yeah?” I asked.

“I’m Kevin.” He said.

“Uhm yeah, I’m-“

“Justice, I heard.” He says with a smrik, “So Justice, seeing that you don’t seem to have anyone with you, I’m guessing that you haven’t made a friend aside from that guy who came with you on your first day?”