Chapter 37

( A/N: Hey Readers! We are finally back from a very long break. Hope we didn't disappoint you much. We hope you all will love this update. Happy Reading! Do drop your views in the form of comments.)

~:~BIRTHDAY EVENING~:~

~~Nandini's P.O.V.~~

It is our children's 10th birthday. As much as they are excited, I am worried. Perhaps after so many years, I'd have to tell them the truth. Everything. Everything about Manik and I. The thought scares me. Will I be able to talk about my past again? Am I over it? Can I trust Manik enough to believe that he will stay this time?

I get dressed in my red strapless dress with a belt made of silver sequins, that touches somewhere near the middle of my thigh. Just then, the door clicks open and Manik steps inside, clicking it shut behind him.

Manik: "Nandini, I got something for you. Please mana mat karo." I smile and look at his gift to see beautiful diamond jewelry. In the box is a diamond studded necklace, long drop earrings and a pretty delicate bracelet. He makes me wear them and kisses me softly on my cheek.

Over the 6 days I've been in his house, he has been very expressive. He showers me with small surprises every now and then and takes care of my children with tender love and care. He still loves me the same, if not more and I wish he always does, forever and ever.

Manik: "You look gorgeous." He says, caressing my cheek and I put my hand on his. His eyes are on my lips, coated with bright Russian Red lipstick.

Nandini: "Manik..." I push him gently and he stands straight. He adjusts his tie and he looks dead handsome in his tuxedo. We go downstairs and welcome the guests.

Kavya: "Aunty, you look so pretty." I smile and caress her hair. I plant a soft kiss on her head and thank her for the compliment. She runs away to play with her friends.

In a matter of minutes, the house fills with guests. All the way from Naman and Nidhi's friends till Manik's colleagues, everyone is assembled in our mansion. The cake also is delivered and placed on the table. Only the cynosures of the event are yet to arrive.

I hear the doors click open and down the stairs, Nidhi walks, wearing a flowing white gown adorned with ribbon flowers and a beautiful little tiara on her curled hair. Mukti comes behind her, signaling a thumbs up and she helps Nidhi carry herself downstairs.

Naman also wears a red buttoned up shirt and black chinos, with red and black striped sneakers, shades, and his hair gelled up. Everyone in the hall cheer for them and Manik and I chuckle looking at them. They stand before the cake and pull us along. They pause.

Manik: "Kya hua? Blow the candles. Make a wish." Manik convinces and they turn towards me. I almost know what they want me to say.

Nidhi: "Amma, we want to see our real father." My daughter asks and I look at Manik. Manik is already looking at me, with guilt-stricken eyes and I look back at him sympathetically. He nods, assuring he is alright and I look back at our children, who are waiting for an answer.

Nandini: "He is your real father. Manik..Manik Malhotra." I say and they look at him with wide eyes. They never expected their assumptions and intuitions to be true. They still couldn't believe it.

Naman: "Sacchhi? That means we are Malhotra's?" Naman asks, to confirm and I nod with a small smile. They run to him and hug him tight and he reciprocates, smiling at me and whispering a 'thank-you'.

Naman (in unison): "Oh My God! Where were you all these years, Dad? We missed you so much!" Naman cups his face and Manik looks down again.

Nidhi: "Appa, aap hume akela kyun choddkar kyun chale gaye?" Nidhi hits his chest playfully and Manik smiles a real smile,million dollars smile after a long time.

Manik: "I am sorry guys but trust me, never think it was because I loved you two less, okay?" He puts his arms around them protectively and they kiss him on his cheek.

Naman: "Vaise, mera special gift?" Naman raises his eyebrows and extends his hand to receive the gift. Manik smirks and lifts his head high, confidently, trying to reject Naman.

Nandini: "First cut the cake. Come on." I say, trying to cut the awkward silence that prevails in the room. They hold our hands and cut the cake and as expected, Manik gets fed the first piece but they end up messing his face with the cake. They feed me too but I make a smart move, away before they ruin my face. Manik makes a grumpy face and they give innocent looks.

Nidhi: "Appa, you won't leave us again na?" She asks with uncertainty clear in her voice. He bends down to reach her and touches his cheek gently.

Manik: "Never." He assures and they hug again. I join the hug and everyone cheers for us. Our friends help us distribute the cake. After the guests are heartily filled, they leave, giving presents to our children.

~~P.O.V. ends~~

Now, only some of close friends stay back and it's the time for the main birthday present...

Manik: "Accha, Naman I guess you had demanded for something." listening this, Naman gets excited and Nidhi is all the way confused. Manik continues, "Nandu, just bring the gifts". Nandini nods in assurance and exits to bring the birthday gifts.

Cabir: He shouts, "Bhabhiji, zara jaldi aao! Saarey bhukhad guests hamara khana kha gaye! We are hungry!" and makes a sad pout. Manik gets some not so positive vibes from Cabir due to change in name of Nandini to Bhabhiji and gives him a deadly glare and tries to study his intentions. Navya in response, slaps his chest and Cabir hisses in pain and everyone burst out laughing except, one pair of eyes who were busy in analyzing the intentions of Cabir as well as busy in glaring. The owner of those pair of eyes was none other than Manik.

Soon Nandini reached with two boxes in her hands. One of the box was wrapped in baby pink colour wrapper with a golden ribbon wrapped around it and the other box was wrapped in sky blue wrapper with silver ribbon wrapped around it. The colours indicated the owners of the gift. Naman in a jiffy ran towards Nandini and snatched the sky blue box from her hands whereas, Nidhi being the patient one, walked towards Nandini and received her share of gift. Both of them started unboxing their gifts and it was not less than a war! Both were trying their best to unbox their gifts first and finally the gift was revealed...

To be continued...

(Finally updated C.O.D. after ages! This time all types of footwear, veggies, eggs are accepted. No fight back from our side. We know it's not a lenghty update but still, manage for the mean time. Please illuminate the star by tapping it. Do drop your views. Criticism accepted. We will be glad if we will get the same response from our readers like the previous chapters. Next update on 1st May. If any errors, do let us know. Till then, keep guessing about the gift, keep loving yourself and enjoy to the fullest! You all will get a surprise soon..Take care, Stay healthy and Safe😃)