Chapter Twenty Five

"You owe me a dance now." Blake reminded me flashing his dazzling smile.

"Oh and why is that?" I raised my eyebrow challenging him. Blake smirked and gestured to the guy slumped on the ground next to us.

"I just defended your honor for the second time tonight." he pointed out.

And that he did. Once again, a drunk stranger attempted to hit on me. All was well and I could have handled him, but Blake stepped in.

"I don't need you to rescue me, I do that just fine." I retorted stepping over the poor sap and making my way towards the crowded living room. It was no surprise when Blake fell into step with me.

"I'm sure you can save yourself, but it's always nice to have a helping hand. Don't you think?" he asked cocking his head to one side, playfully. It was hard to imagine that this was the same boy who cornered me in a locker room four months ago.

"One dance and that's it." I relented because even though it wasn't necessary, I appreciated that he defended me. That and I wouldn't mind just one dance with him.

"That's all I need Vivi." he smiled taking my hand and lead me towards the back yard where we started our night.

"Everyone's dancing inside-" I frowned confused as Blake lead us farther away. "Why are coming outside? I thought you wanted a dance?"

"I do, but I don't want to bump and grind to bad music." he replied when we reached the backyard and found a spot by a bench. Blake fished his pockets and produced his phone and scrolled through it.

"What are you doing Orton?" I raised my eyebrow.

"I am looking for the right-ahh there we go." he smiled proudly as the opening chords of, Baby I'm Yours played.

"I love this song!" I cried out happily.

Blake laughed and took me in his arms. I tentatively wrapped my arms around his shoulder and we swayed to Alex Turner's crooning. Our bodies working like two magnets coming together with a powerful pull.

"I know, that's why I played it." he smiled softly revealing two deep dimples.

"Wait--you remembered?" I asked awe-strucked. It had been so long since our first night in the park and he remembered my favorite song?

"Y-yeah that's not weird is it? Because if it makes it feel less weird, I remember the entire script of Breakfast Club. I just remember things and it's not weird and you're nothing special....I MEAN YOU ARE SPECIAL BUT NOT IN THE WAY WHERE IT LOOKS LIKE I'M SOME WEIRD STALKER BECAUSE I'M NOT!" he rambled and if I hadn't placed my hand over his mouth, I doubt he would have stopped. When he saw me giggling, he visibly relaxed.

"I don't think it's weird at all." I assured him, "It's cute and you are totally lying about memorizing the entire script of Breakfast Club." I teased him. I moved my hand away and Blake's smiled broadened as if taking my challenge.

"Saturday...March 24, 1984. Shermer High School, Shermer, Illinois. 60062. Dear Mr. Vernon...we accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it was that we did wrong, what we did was wrong. But we think you're crazy to make us write this essay telling you who we think we are, what do you care? You see us as you want to see us...in the simplest terms and the most convenient definitions. You see us as a brain, an athelete, a basket case, a princess and a criminal. Correct? That's the way we saw each other at seven o'clock this morning. We were brainwashed... " Blake recited the opening quote of the movie flawlessy.

"Alright so you weren't lying." I smiled impressed. Blake just stared at me for a moment too long and it made me feel vulnerable. As if he could see me--really see me in that genuine way.