Chapter Forty Two

When I was younger, I noticed that my parent's didn't look at each other the way two people in love should look at each other. They always looked at each other like they were two friends separated by time.

They looked at each other like familiar strangers.

Time had changed them, and they weren't husband and wife anymore. Just two people trying to figure out where they lost themselves.

That was my parents. They had changed so much from the people they had met. I remember the yelling. The screams in the middle of the night. I could still hear doors slamming, and glass shattering from their scuffles.

I remember Sawyer being my only salvation. He was always there, even when I didn't want him to be. He was there when all the bad things happened. When the glass shattered, doors slammed, or yelling escalated to screaming matches. He always believed they would work it out, because they were mommy and daddy.

I wasn't as optimistic. I remember on our twelfth birthday, when Sawyer and I blew out the candles on our cake, I made a wish. I wished they would just leave each other. I wished mom and dad would finally realize they weren't right for each other.

My wish took a few more years to come true.

Maybe the reason why i'm thinking about all of this, is because dad finally got it right after all this time. He finally realized where his heart belonged. It took an uphill battle but he did it. I guess he was a beacon of hope. Sometimes you have to fall in love a couple times and break your heart to finally get it right. To get it right for that one person waiting at the end of the finish line.

I think dad got it right this time. I could only wait until I did too.

***

"Vivi, wake up." Sawyer nudged me softly. I groaned and buried myself deeper into my comforter. I wanted to sleep until I had to return to school. I had royally screwed everything with Ty and Blake. "Vivian it's time to get up, dad is asking for you."

I huffed and sat up in bed. "He's here already?" I furrowed my brows. I could've sworn mom had mentioned he would be here next week? Or did she mean this week? Honestly, my mind hasn't been all there lately.

"Yeah him and his fiancée, I forget her name, but she seems nice." Sawyer supplied for me. "Go take care of yourself and come downstairs for lunch." he advised me with a soft hesitant smile.

"Lunch? But I thought-"

"You overslept...again." he informed me wearily. I nodded and watched as Sawyer got up to greet dad and his fiancée, whatever her name was.

I rubbed my puffy eyes, I was pretty sure they were swollen from crying. It had been three days since Blake had ran from me in the park. His eyes, absent of any recognition of who I was. I thought I would have to brace myself for an angry Blake. It didn't occur to me that I was going to see a lost Blake. A lost and betrayed Blake. Ty was no better. He had been radio silent since I went over to his house, and he asked me to choose him.

I don't know how I feel about that. Of course I liked Ty, what was there not to like? I had hurt him too, but it felt different with him. I was sad when Ty ignored me and dodged my calls. I was sad because I was losing my friend. But with Blake the loss seemed terrifying? Like I had the unrelenting belief that whatever happened between Ty and I, we would be strong enough to survive it.

However, with Blake it was walking into the unknown. I didn't know where we stood. I didn't know how to brace myself for the end, and when it happened, I became....lost. Yeah, I think that's how I would describe it. I didn't want to face the world when I knew I had did such a horrible thing to Blake. So my room had been my bubble. I'd been lying around in the same clothes for three days, and I'm pretty sure I stink.