Chapter 27: Alone Again

Authors Note: Just a Disclaimer reminder: I, sadly, have no connection with Zak. And I certainly don't any connection with any ex girlfriends. I don't mean any offence or harm against anyone, especially not Zak.

Chapter 27: Alone Again

Zak's Point of View

Roughly two hours later...

I was sitting out in the backyard, music blasting from some portable speakers, a beer in my hand, and Gracie laying at my feet.

I didn't normally drink anymore, but at that moment, I felt like I needed it.

I can't believe I've been lied to, again, I thought.

When I had stormed out of Cheryl and Alicia's house, Aaron had quickly followed me out.

I hadn't expected him to leave. I wouldn't of been mad at him if he had stayed. And to be honest, I had wanted to be alone.

But I had given him a ride over, and I realized he felt bad for me.

~*~*~*~*~

"I'm sorry bro..." Aaron said as he got into the passengers seat of my Dodge Challenger.

I revved the engine and backed up out of the driveway, then sped off down the street.

I had sensed Aaron's tension at my speed, but I didn't care at the time.

I often took my ride out to an empty, deserted, parking lot after a rough lockdown to let off some steam. Speeding across the empty space. Pulling tire squealing donuts over and over again.

The rush thrilled me.

"I know what you're thinking," Aaron began. "But I really don't think she's like the other women you're comparing her too," Aaron said.

I knew Alicia wasn't like the women from my past.

And I had been a different man then. I had been younger, and liked to party and get wild. I had loved the attention from women, regardless if they really wanted to be with me, or if they were just looking to share a bit of the spotlight.

But several of my paranormal experiences had changed me.

I didn't want to be surrounded by lots of women anymore. I didn't want fake adoration.

I wanted someone I could come home too, and be at peace with. Someone who I could feel completely comfortable with. I wanted someone who made me want to be a better man.

In the short span of a month, I found those things with Alicia, and a lot more.

She didn't care about the spotlight. She didn't care about the money, or the fancy houses and fancy cars. She understood my social anxiety. She understood my paranormal experiences. She understood my weirdness.

And most importantly, somehow, just being around her calmed me in a way I never thought possible. I hadn't been having as much nightmares since I had met her. I could face my demons when she was around.

I didn't feel so haunted.

But she had lied to me...

"I know she's not like them bro, but she lied to me, just like they did," I responded.

I gripped the steering wheel to keep my emotions in check.

"I'm not saying her lying to you is okay, but she clearly seems badly affected by whatever happened to her sister," Aaron said.