43 We'll Have To Try Again

Erik~~

This time every chair in the meeting bunker is filled. Rebels even stand against the walls.

I close my hand into a fist as Thomas in front of everyone berates Lila for going on the mission. It's not as if he hasn't already scolded her, but someone just reminded us all that Lila was there and could have been the reason the mission failed.

Not that anyone knows what she did while at the Estate, so that man is just being petty, but still though, Lila won't say what she did while at the Estate.

As pathetic as it sounds, I'm relieved to have the attention on Lila and off me.

How could I let go of him?

I had him.

Failure is the kindest word that has been used to describe me.

But there were some who come to my defense, pointing out I was outnumbered and the two rebels who couldn't hold back Colton are really the ones to blame.

Tears stream down Lila's face, but she doesn't sob. Not even a whimper escapes her.

When Thomas is done, Lila walks right out of the bunker, without a single word. Vienna gets up and follows her.

Thomas braces his arms against the table. "Even if we didn't obtain the Preeminence, we still managed to hurt their soldiers. I think we rattled them. This morning I received calls from groups in New York, Virginia, and Maine, all of them wanting to join us. We'll need to come up with a new plan soon. You're dismissed but next time we come together, I'll be expecting ideas."

*****

Anya, Afreen, and L find me in the room I share with nine others. I was alone, lying on my back, until they came in. I pull my eyes from the metal frame of the top bunk to Anya who carries four beer bottles in their arms.

L hands one to me. "How are you feeling?"

Like a disappointment, but that's not new. I pop off the lid. "I could be better."

"Look." Afreen leans against the ladder of my bunk. "We still believe in your plan to capture the Preeminence, but maybe we just need to try a different plan of action."

"More subtle," Anya says.

"Nothing is subtle about kidnapping the Preeminence." The beer tastes cheap, like what normal people would drink. Maybe I can pretend I'm normal for at least a few minutes.

Thomas has been hounding me to tell him about the aliens. I'm scared to though. I know I'll have to tell him soon, but what would the world do to me if they actually believe me when I say I have alien blood?

They'd fear me. The rebels I'm already doing a horrendous job at winning over would be too scared to trust me—no matter that I can't see Expiration Dates like a full-blooded Amoris.

"Could a small group sneak into the Estate undetected?" Anya asks.

"There are security cameras, but if we were somehow able to shut off the lights, it would at least be enough to hide our identities. But then there are Veil patrolling the grounds."

L drums her fingers against the metal bunk. "Could the Rosens sneak us in? Does the Society check cars?"

"No, but the Rosens aren't necessarily flying under the radar right now."

"When do the Rosens usually visit the Estate?" L asks.

"Usually for dinner, but I don't know about now."

Anya finishes off their beer. "Well, it's at least worth looking into."

I drag the tip of my fingernail over my bottle. "I'll give it some thought." 

The first photo is by maiabeth

The second one is by doctors1companion

The third is by amazingmelissa