45 The Gym

Iris~~

It seems most of the Order is already here when I walk into the gym. Colton stands at the front of them as if he's the Preeminence. Knowing he was supposed to be that very thing, it isn't hard to imagine it. I wouldn't be in this position if he was Preeminence. He'd have already dealt with me.

The walls of the gym are painted gray. The floors are a smooth black wood. There are targets set up in one corner, guns stacked on the wall beside them. In front of the Order are gray mats. This gym looks nothing like the one I grew up with, but still I feel a small sense of being home. I haven't felt that in years.

I tug at my shirt. I could have fought Colton in that dress I wore, but I'd rather not, even despite my lack of options in non-dress like clothes. My only true option was the shorts and shirt I had on when I met Erik. I felt entirely uncomfortable walking through the Estate in these clothes.

The tip of my shoe touches the mat where Colton stands on the other side. He crosses his arms.

"Hello, Iris."

"Colton."

His hands tighten. "Here's how this is going to work. It's very simple so you should be able to understand it. The first to be knocked off their feet loses."

I slip out of my tennis shoes and pull off my socks before stepping onto the mat. My toes and heels feel out the surface that's completely different from the wood floor underneath it. Colton takes off his own shoes and socks and joins me on that mat. It's odd to see him in such causal clothing, black jeans and a t-shirt. Subconsciously, I was starting to believe he lived in dress clothes.

Jonas and Erik are in the cluster of members of the Order. I count eleven men including Colton. I haven't been introduced to many of them. Gwen is the only other girl in attendance. Erik's face matches theirs. Entirely bored. But Jonas, well, he looks worried. I haven't talked to Erik since the maze. I saw him during the meeting, but I didn't actually look at him. I didn't say anything to him. I don't know what he thought seeing me there, but after Jonas confirmed what he did to Molly, I feel like I'm drowning whenever I think of Erik. How could he have killed Molly? If he was able to kill her, what won't he do?

Colton flexes his hands and rolls his shoulders back.

I ruined Jonas's first Senate meeting. A part of me feels bad for that, but another part can't, not for standing up to the Society, especially not when it's for something so close to my heart. I can't even bring myself to worry that after they see me fight, they'll probably guess I grew up in an orphanage of rebels.

Our eyes meet, and he gives a nod as if to say he understands. I don't know how he possible could, not when I don't even fully understand everything I'm feeling.

Colton takes a step forward. "Shall I go easy on you?"

"There's no need."

My mouth stays parted; the words I was about to say stolen from me. My bottom lip trembles. That voice. Even after years, I'd never forget it. I hear footsteps approaching me, but I stay still. Maybe if I don't move, the dream will pass over me.

"Colton, would you mind terribly if I took your place?"

I become aware of his body hovering inches from my own. I tense up at his presence. Lord, save me.

"I truly didn't know how much I missed spending time with Iris." He draws out the s, his breath hitting the side of my neck. No. No, it can't be.

I turn, and he smiles wickedly at me. That black hair and those brown eyes, each line and curve of his face, the sharp angle of his nose, the arch of his smile. All of it. I'll know every one of those features for the rest of my life.

Even if he never visits my nightmares again, I'll never not know that this man before me is Jae-yeon.