18 I Don't Think I've Been Poisoned

Iris~~

My dinner wasn't poisoned. At least not that I know of yet.

The wine I hold in my hands might be. Gwen, the Preeminence's sister, takes a sip of hers, eyeing me while Erik responds to her last question. Though my mind doesn't have that muddled feeling anymore, I refrain from making eye contact with her, keeping my line of sight shifted. There's plenty to distract me. The Society's ballroom is filled with people conversing. Above us hang silver chandeliers, and above those, the stars shine down on us through a glass ceiling. At the far end of the room, a window takes the place of a wall. At night, the mountains are hard to see, but I'm sure it's also beautiful view during the day.

"How is it that you two met?" she asks.

Erik responds for the both of us, lying of course, and despite my misgivings, I take a sip of my wine. It hasn't even been two hours, and I'm exhausted. Playing the game of not dying is more taxing than movies from other countries make it look. Every single day, those people could die. Just like me. It's strange to think that far to the north or south, east or west, I'd be normal.

The Preeminence sidles up to me. "Hello," he says to me before nodding to Gwen and Erik.

"Khaleedi"—light from one of the ballroom chandeliers bounces off Gwen's wreath as she turns—"Erik's telling me how he and Iris met." Khaleedi?

The Preeminence clasps his hands together, his fingers brushing mine in the process and a smile on his face. "I can't believe you're getting it out of him. By all means"—he waves his hand at them— "carry on with your conversation."

As the Preeminence commands, so let it be, I think as I watch the two of them resume where they left off, despite Erik's stiff posture.

"How was dinner?" the Preeminence asks me.

"You mean, how was your mother?"

He holds up his hands, his palms facing me. "And I've been found out."

"We didn't really talk, but she was nice. She asked me how I knew you, and I told her I was Erik's guest."

"I suppose that was rather awkward, considering she found you secluded in a room with me." Despite his words, he looks relieved.

"Oh, it was."

He glances at his sister before focusing on me. "It's nice to see you lightening up."

"You are quite terrifying. It's taken me a little bit of time to relax." I understand now why he didn't want me here. Not because I'm lesser in the eyes of the Society, but for my safety.

He places a hand on his silver laurel wreath. "Is the crown that intimidating?"

"No, it's beautiful." The words come out before I think better of it.

He smiles. "Thank you, love." I raise my eyebrows at the term, and he laughs before his smile turns into a grin.

"Do tell me, Jonas"—a man steps up beside the Preeminence— "what it is that has you laughing." That fog spreads over my mind again, and this time I have the sense to keep my head down.

"Colton," the Preeminence's voice sounds choked. "May I introduce you to Miss Iris Levine?"

I drop into a curtsy, not daring to look up. I wish I could blame the haze on the wine, but one sip won't do that to me.

"Iris, this is my brother, Colton, the future Beta."

"The elusive red head from the photos," Colton says.

Photos? The Preeminence mentioned something about them before. "I'm sorry?"

"From when Erik pulled you away from the car. We saw pictures of the back of your head."