Thanksgiving Society Style

Happy Thanksgiving! To show you all how thankful I am for you, I wrote a little Thanksgiving spin off. It's not entirely canon because of the dates and timeline, but it does take place after Expired, the second book. If November was closer to February, this could have been a scene in the third book.

I offer you a challenge. In the comments, write a short story about how Erik and/or Vienna would be spending Thanksgiving from wherever they are spending their exile. You get to decide! I can't wait to read them!

Iris~~

I scoop a helping of sweet potato casserole into my mouth; the marshmallows, cinnamon sugar and yams enrapturing my taste buds. Jonas's hand rests on my thigh. I've seen feasts at the Society but nothing to the extent of the Society's Thanksgiving feast. Fifteen turkeys line the three tables. Wine pours freely. A multitude of casseroles, stuffing, rolls, meats, and pies are spread out over the tables. Yellow and orange leaves and gourds decorate the red tablecloths. The dining room is lit only by candles. The flames in the chandlers flicker above us. Tonight Jonas seceded his spot at the front of the head table for his father. At least that's what he told everyone else. He told me in private he just wanted to be able to sit next to me. Across from us are the twins, Colton and Gwen. I keep catching them bickering.

    "What are you thankful for?" Jonas asks me.

    A few people at our end of the table pay attention to us.

    "For being alive of course." I look only at Jonas as I speak. "For being accepted by your family. For you being safe"— alive— "when I found you. And of course for Colton's friendship."

    Colton raises his wine glass and rolls his eyes. "I'm flattered, darling."

    I lift my glass toward him and smile. There are so many things I can't really say out loud. Erik saving me. Jonas sparing me. Jonas living past his Expiration Date. Brydan taking A back. Their daughter being healthy.

    A smiles at me from her spot next to Brydan who's feeding their daughter.

    "What about you Jonas?" I ask.

    He moves his hand from my thigh to thread his fingers through mine. "Well I'm thankful for an interesting transition to Preeminence. For a beautiful, amazing girlfriend and for a rekindled relationship with my best friend." He cuts off a piece of turkey from his plate and sticks it in his mouth, making a face at me. I make one back at him.

    "What are you thankful for, Colton?" Brydan asks to which Colton responds by sending a glare his way.

    "Nothing."

    "Nothing?" Marilana, their mother, asks skeptically.

    "My girlfriend was a rebel. We let Iris live. Our cousins, Erik and Andrew, were exiled. The only thing I'm grateful for is that we crushed the rebellions." Colton pushes his chair back and stands. "Excuse me." He drops his napkin on his seat and leaves.

    Jonas shares a look with me. "Excuse me as well." He follows his brother out.

    I eat my food in silence until my phone buzzes.

    I excuse myself and once I'm out of the dining room I send him a response

    I wind my way through the hallways and to his office. I don't bother knocking, and I go ahead and push the door open. "Hey."

    He wraps his arms around me, burying his head in my neck.

    "What's up?"

    "I got into a fight with Colton. The worst part is I know he's right about everything." He leans back and brushes his fingers through my hair near my ear, sending a tingle through my spine. "Are we really celebrating thanksgiving? We've lost so much."

    I place my palm on the side of his head. "That's what today is for. To remind us of the little things that went right so we can keep trudging through all the big things that go wrong."

    He leans down and kisses me on the lips. "If I ever lose you. . ."

    "You keep Thanksgiving."

    "How? Saying to do something is a lot easier than doing it."

    I grip his shirt, pulling him closer so we're pressed against each other. I search his eyes. "We lived Jonas. We did the impossible already."

    "But to lose you after everything. . ."

    "I know. I feel the same way toward you, but you have to give thanks or you'll go insane in depression if you always wallow in grief." I run my hand down his head, tugging lightly at his dark hair. "Think about the day before you were supposed to die. How you felt. I remember how I felt—I wanted to kill myself and get it over with."

    "Why didn't you tell me?"

    I shrug lightly. "It's not something one typically wants to share. I had to keep going, and now I'm alive, and I have you. I'm happy, Jonas. I'm thankful. I'm so, so thankful."

    He kisses me again. When he pulls back he wears the most beautiful smile, and I think I fall in love all over again. He holds me against him. "I don't care what anyone will ever say. I'm not letting you go."