44 Senate

Colton~~

I have to admit I'm surprised. Our first Senate meeting is going better than I expected. Though perhaps I should have had some inkling of an idea that it would go well considering how long we've been discussing most of the legislation prior to this meeting. For the most part, it's as simple as voting and taking time for me to read the bills aloud.

From across the aisle separating us, the Preeminence gives me a small nod of approval as another bill is passed. He brought Iris. I'm not surprised by that. Two nights ago, I was about to find out her Expiration Date. I would have then been able to warn—prepare the Preeminence. Preparation. Something the Tresais didn't have with Molly.

But then the Eta showed up. He'd never go along with exposing a girl's Mark while she was passed out. I had to carry her in my arms through the labyrinth to the exit.

She hasn't said a word. Hasn't looked up from the floor since the Order and I entered the chamber. I don't even believe she knows who's sitting in which of the twelve black thrones that circle the outer ring of the room. The Zeta is behind her with the Epsilon and Theta on his side. The Zeta and Theta have not been introduced to Iris, and while the Theta does not seem to pay her any mind, the Zeta keeps glancing at her. I don't blame him for wondering why a stranger is attending our first Senate meeting, especially when our sisters that sit in her circle are exceptionally equipped to speak and give advice. Gwen's used this meeting to shine. To show us all she'd make the better Tresais.

The Preeminence keeps his eyes forward, not bothering to look at me from his own black throne. "Beta, please, read the next bill."

I swipe at the screen in my desk, pulling up the bill. Relief fills me when I see which one it is. This bill is another one we've been discussing for weeks now in preparation for our first Senate meeting. I straighten my posture and again see Iris shift in her seat underneath the Zeta. He's not looking at her now, but at me.

"A bill to abolish all privately-owned orphanages and children's homes."

Iris tenses.

I read through the details out loud despite each member of the Order having their own digital copy in front of them. I have my protocol to follow.

When I finish, the Preeminence asks for anyone who opposes the bill to say nay. No one speaks up.

"All in favor say yay."

He's met with a unanimous response. Around the circle, the faces of the Order are relieved. None of us wanted to continue to talk more about this bill.

"Wait." Iris stands up.

I bite my tongue, but I can't stop the scowl I give her.

"Do you have something to say?" the Preeminence asks.

"Was there discussion on this? Numerous lives will be affected by this bill."

The Digamma doesn't even bother looking at her. "We've been discussing this for weeks." I wonder what he thinks about me not being able to carry out the plan in the maze.

"It's in our best interest," the Tresais says. He isn't Iris's lap dog then? It's good to know she doesn't have my whole family under her spell. If I can only make sure my brother doesn't fall for her . . .

"I grew up in one of them."

I can't help but lean forward. She was an orphan? "Then you should know that many of these institutions train rebels."