Chapter Two

A few days later Antoinette drove me to about five billion stores and I haven't found a single piece of clothing that I'm interested in wearing. We're at our last store when she asks me, "Ok Leiah, what about this one?"

Antoinette shows me a light blue tank top with a cutoff shoulder.

"Umm... Ant, where's the rest of it?"

"Ha Ha Ha. Very funny,"

"I think I want something more... " I turn to this beige short sleeve shirt with black birds on it. "What about this one?"

Antoinette looks at it, then at me. "Umm... It's nice," She turns back to the racks. I totally know she's copying me from Friday.

"Ant...."

"What!"

"You don't like it huh?"

"No, I do! It's just... Not my style,"

"See, you don't like it," I put the shirt back on the rack. "Hey Ant,"

"Yeah?"

"I like skirts and dresses," I say turning around. I smile because I know it's just to make her happy.

Antoinette's face brightens up in a wide grin. Told ya so. "Oh my gosh Leiah, we're going to the skirts first. Let's go!" She drags me to the skirts section of the store. We weave through the racks and aisles.

After about an hour of looking, Ant and I pick out four dresses and two skirts for me to try on, and she even picked out something for herself. After trying on the outfits, I finally pick a high - low (I think It's called) teal dress with ruffles on the top. I think it's way too much, but when I come out of the dressing room, Antoinette looks amazed.

"Leiah. You look beautiful! Just let me do your hair and makeup-"

"Woah Ant. I only signed up for shopping spree and a party,"

"Please Leiah! These are just two more steps to you being fawned over by boatloads of smokin' hot guys,"

I laugh and turn around to the mirror. I do like how this dress looks on me. I would look good with some small boots, but Antoinette would never take that. Maybe Antoinette has a point about all of this. I hope I don't regret this, I think as I turn back to her and say, "Ok, I'm in. Work your magic,"

After we bought our merchandise, we stop by Baskin Robbins and sit by a table in the back of the restaurant.

"Ok, so even if I get to talk to a guy, how am I going to keep up a conversation with him?" I ask Antoinette as I scoop some more of my strawberry ice cream and lick it off the spoon.

"Leiah, it's just like talking to me. Pretend that he's me. Ask him questions about himself, or say 'Come here often?'," she laughs.

"Ant, even I know that's not a good conversation starter,"

"Well this is your first time talking to a guy that you won't run off, I hope. I want this to be good for you. I know you don't converse that much with guys after what happen with that douche Jake, but Leiah it's time and you know it,"

"Well it's not like I run off every guy I talk too. What about Kevin, in Bio?"

"Oh honey, I'm glad you didn't keep talking to him. He was such a creep,"

I think back to him trying to let me pet his pet frog. "Yeah, he kinda was... What about Joel?"

"Nerd Alert!"

"Ant! He was cute right?"

"If I was born on Mars,"

I give her a stern look. "Come on, those count,"

"No they don't,"

"Well you've had some bad boyfriends too!"

"I know I have, but you've had what like two, and they both sucked. The first guy kept wild animals in his backpack, like that frog," She shivers in dismay, "And the second guy had like six other girlfriends."

"He did not Ant! I think it was like at least four..." I say quietly.

"See, this is what I'm talking about! Its time to get a good man!"

"Ok well you know what I'll do... I'll play it natural. Why should I make up this whole story about how I'm going to get with a guy. I'm gonna go in with no script, no cues on how to get rid of dead moments. It's gonna be perfect."

"Well I wish you luck Leiah. I believe in you. Now hurry up and eat, so I can get you some shoes to match. Do you like wedges because I have these cute ones I just bought and since we have to same shoe size, I was wondering-"

"Umm Ant. I think I'd rather wear sandals than wedges,"

"Ok fine, but I'm sorry I won't be letting you use my new sandals because they are my favorite ones,"

I smile rolling my eyes, "Sure Ant. Well let's go. I'm already starting to doubt this,"

After trying on too many shoes, I finally give in to these strappy gold sandals Ant picked out.

We're at her house and I'm showing her the final look of the dress and shoes.

"Ok your done. What do you think? Honestly Leiah? "

"I actually do love it,"

"Oh you're just playing me,"

And to tell you the truth, I was a little, but I won't admit it. I don't want Ant to think that all her "hard work" will be for nothing. She really does want me to get a little more girly, but I think it's going to take more than a dress and sparkling sandals to change me.

                                                                   ♡ ♡ ♡

"I'm glad you're going! You're gonna have a great time, and Antoinette's right. You haven't done anything fun this summer. I'm glad you're getting out of your comfort zone," my mom tells me in the kitchen where she's feeding Sophia.

Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to tell mom about going to the party with Antoinette tomorrow. My mom is kind of like Antoinette, big fashionista. They even left me once to go shopping. I'm glad I didn't go, because when they can back, they had so many bags, I knew they went to every store. I've never stayed that late for shopping alone. I'd rather be in the art studio finishing my painting. Thinking about this, I know I need to get out and enjoy myself. I smile to myself and think that maybe I am excited for the party. I need to get out and have some fun for my last days of summer before the new year starts. I'm going in with full force, because who knows... Maybe it'll be a special night.